Reason • 38 Years, 390 Issues, 6,980 Articles, 23,442pp
January 1999 Issue - 28 Articles
- Party Poopers, pp. 4-7
Why the Republicans Deserved to Lose
- Letters, pp. 8-9
- Draft Dodgers, p. 10
- Balance Sheet , p. 10
- Frog=Beer=Woman , p. 10
- Greener, Not Warmer , p. 11
- Leak Proof , p. 12
- Limo Limits , p. 12
- Bill? (Gasp!) Monica? (Sigh!) , p. 13
- Joe Blow , p. 13
- Brickbats , p. 14
- Elaine's Closet , p. 14
- Dry Spell , p. 15
- Continuing State of Emergency , p. 15
- Poll Vault , pp. 16-17
- Coat-Check Time, pp. 18-21
In which our man in Washington Endures Republican Victory Rituals.
- The Bonds of Life, pp. 22-35
Society depends on rules. But what sort of rules enliven our world--and what sort stifl...
- The Good Soldier, pp. 36-43
Presidential Hopeful Sen. John McCain Certainly is a man of honor. But is he a man of P...
- Denset Hinkers, pp. 44-52
'New Urbanism,' the Latest Fad in Urban Planning, Promises Less Traffic, Better Air, an...
- Constitutional Challenge, pp. 53-54
Repealing the 16th Amendment wouldn't Kill the Income Tax.
- Gender War Crimes, pp. 55-57
Classifying Offenses Against Women as 'Hate Crimes' is a Dangerous Political Game.
- Dark Bedfellows, pp. 58-60
Postmoderns and Traditionalists Unite Against the Enlightenment.
[+] The Libertarian Quartet (Review) , pp. 61-65
The Structure of Liberty, by Randy E. Barnett
- The Structure of Liberty by Randy E. Barnett
[+] Hooked on Fantasies (Review) , pp. 66-68
Dark Alliance, by Gary Webb
- Dark Alliance by Gary Webb
[+] Truth Believer (Review) , pp. 69-70
Manifesto of a Passionate Moderate, by Susan Haack
- Manifesto of a Passionate Moderate by Susan Haack
[+] The Advantages of Ownership (Review) , pp. 71-73
The Noblest Triumph, by Tom Bethell
- The Noblest Triumph by Tom Bethell
- Sluggers Row, pp. 74-76
How to Turn Cultural Progress--and Good, Clean Fun--Into Racist Calamity
- Cover illustration