The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
April 1, 1996 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: Humility and Justice, pp. 7-9
Is the Menendez conviction part of a trend?
- In the Mail, pp. 10-15
- Goings On About Town, pp. 16-40
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 41-43
Fashionable fakery; the supermarket as melting pot; marijuana is good for you; etc.
- Letter from Washington: Accentuate the Negative, pp. 44-48
Bob Dole finally finds a campaign strategy
- Onward and Upward with the Arts: The Playful Pianist, p. 49
Alfred Brendel is one of the world's great classical musicians---and nothing like what ...
- "If She Only Had One Minute", pp. 50-55
- Letter from Tokyo: Nerve Gas and the Four Noble Truths, pp. 56-61
How did the guru facing trial for murder in the Tokyo nerve-gas attack create himself a...
- Down the Runway: British Designer Alexander McQueen, pp. 62-65
- "Surfaces", pp. 66-71
- Life and Letters: Making Advances, pp. 72-73
Harold Robbins is the id of American fiction, on and off the page.
- "Why Isn't It All More Marked?", pp. 74-79
- At the Galleries: Clifford Odets's paintings, pp. 80-81
- Fiction: "New York Girl", pp. 82-87
An affair with a woman and the city
- A Critic at Large: W.H. Auden in New York, pp. 88-96
[+] Flaubert in the Trenches (Review) , pp. 97-98
Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks
- Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
- Mixed Media: Trash TV polices itself, pp. 99-101
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 102-103
Sisters and Brothers
- Diabolique (1996 Film) by Jeremiah S. Chechik
- A Family Thing (1995 Film) by Richard Pearce
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 104-106
- Cover: Landmarks Commission to Meet in Special Session