The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 9, 2004 Issue - 16 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Bruce Springsteen shouldn't be introspective, etc.
- TRB: Second Act, p. 6
Why Al Sharpton is no Jesse Jackson
- Panic Room, p. 7
Is the Bush administration choosing a Republican future in Washington over a democratic...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Peter Jennings's pompus debate questions, etc.
- AWOL, p. 10
Was Michael Moore right about Bush's military service?
- Dubai Dispatch: City on a Hill, pp. 11-12
An Arab success story
[+] Book Mark (Review) , p. 13
The New War, by John Kerry
- The New War by John Kerry
- Moscow Dispatch: See No Evil, pp. 14-17
Vladimir Put has ended Russian democracy. Why won't the U.S. press say so?
- Campaign Journal: Full Circle, pp. 18-21
In February 2004, the Democratic presidential race is now exactly where it was in Febru...
Books and the Arts
[+] Films: Transmutation (2 Reviews) , p. 22
The Tracker (2002 Film), by Rolf de Heer
- The Tracker (2002 Film) by Rolf de Heer
- The Return (2003 Film) by Andrei Zvyagintsev
- Music: The Body Eclectic, pp. 23-24
Jazz may be entering a new phase, one animated less by its history than other types of ...
[+] Kant at Ground Zero (Review) , pp. 25-30
Philosophy in a Time of Terror, by Giovanna Borradori
- Philosophy in a Time of Terror by Giovanna Borradori
- Taboo Against the Word 'Beauty,' Elegiac Version, p. 31
[+] Disengagement (Review) , pp. 32-33
The Rules of Engagement, by Anita Brookner
- The Rules of Engagement by Anita Brookner
- Pyongyang Diarist: Fantasia, pp. 34-36
- Cover Photo