The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 18, 2003 Issue - 16 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Fareed Zakaria v. Robert Kagan
- TRB: Armies of Compassion?, p. 6
Liberia needs justice, not pity
- Offshore, p. 7
Bush's Clintonian Liberai policy
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Introducing the TNR Primary, etc.
- Bad Company, p. 10
Nigerian peacekeepers have been in Liberia before. And it wasn't pretty
- Tashkent Dispatch: Steppe Back, p. 11
Uzbekistan's dictator is repressing his people, ruining his economy, and breeding terro...
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Third Way, pp. 12-13
How Tommy Lapid, who entered politics to fight Israel's ultra-Orthodox, ended up shapin...
- Fetal Position, pp. 14-16
Introducing ectogenesis, a technology that could threaten abortion rights more than any...
- Founding Fakers, pp. 17-21
During the cold war, conservatives romanticized rebel leaders who claimed to be anti-co...
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Against Odds (2 Reviews) , p. 22
Seabiscuit (2003 Film), by Gary Ross
- Seabiscuit (2003 Film) by Gary Ross
- Buffalo Soldiers (2001 Film) by Gregor Jordan
- Theater: When Egos Collide, pp. 23-24
The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci is thin on ideas; Henry V has far too many
[+] Blinding Blandness (Review) , pp. 25-30
The Language Police, by Diane Ravitch
- The Language Police by Diane Ravitch
[+] I Leica Danger (Review) , pp. 31-33
Blood and Champagne, by Alex Kershaw
- Blood and Champagne by Alex Kershaw
- Eurydice and Stalin, pp. 34-37
- Washington Diarist, pp. 38-40
- Cover Illustration