The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 1, 1999 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Clinton's lies, the Journal's truths, etc.
- TRB: Cashed Out, p. 6
Bill Clinton has finally paid off Paul Jones, thus proving the Supreme Court is intelle...
- Defense Less, p. 7
A courtroom strategy for Clinton
- Notebook, p. 8
The Times in Africa, Barr under oath, etc.
- Liddy Lite, p. 9
The chattering class is hailing Elizabeth Dole as the perfect presidential candidate. B...
- Sample Error, pp. 10-11
Why you don't have to be a Republican or a Luddite to think that the hot new census ide...
- Blind Faith, pp. 12-13
The moral price of defending Clinton is steeper than liberals realize
- White House Watch: Sex-Crazed, pp. 14-15
Has Washington become one big peep show?
- Disorders of the Day, pp. 16-18
Taking Larry Flynt's daughter to breakfast, escorting Strom Thurmond to the men's room,...
- Up the Organization, pp. 19-23
Secretary-General Kofi Annan believes deeply in the principles of the United Nations, w...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Accepted Fates (2 Reviews) , p. 24
Affliction (1998 Film), by Paul Schrader
- Affliction (1998 Film) by Paul Schrader
- Private Confessions (1996 Film) by Liv Ullmann
[+] Serious Mischief (Review) , pp. 25-30
Inside Bruegel, by Edward A. Snow
- Inside Bruegel by Edward A. Snow
- Eurydice in Istanbul, p. 31
[+] Puff Daddy (Review) , pp. 32-35
A Traitor's Kiss, by Fintan O'Toole
- A Traitor's Kiss by Fintan O'Toole
[+] Nothing Is Lost (Review) , pp. 36-37
The Jew of New York, by Ben Katchor
- The Jew of New York by Ben Katchor
[+] One-Dimensional Man (Review) , pp. 38-41
Technology, War and Fascism, by Herbert Marcuse and Douglas Kellner
- Technology, War and Fascism by Herbert Marcuse and Douglas Kellner
- Washington Diarist: Godforsaken, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Illustration