The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 25, 1997 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
A failed assassin begs to differ, etc.
- TRB: The Freelance, p. 6
William Weld goes tilting at a windbag. Why?
- Unfearless Leader, p. 7
It's time to hold Arafat accountable
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Resurrection for DeConcini, redemption for Packwood, etc.
- On the Hill: Dodd Man Out, p. 10
In the campaign finance hearings, Senator Christopher Dodd has the next best thing to i...
- Rubin Sandwich, p. 11
Robert Rubin won the battle over tax details. Too bad Bill Archer won the war over the ...
- Kinder Cut, pp. 12-13
Two cheers for chemical castration. In moderation
- Myths of the Unloved, pp. 14-15
Why do so many blacks believe that white America seeks to destroy them? Because it's le...
- Defining Disability Down, pp. 16-22
Bad at math? Can't sit still or stay awake in class? Not to worry. Under the law, you c...
- The Hard Questions: Double Talk, p. 23
Ducking the real race question
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Regarding Realism (2 Reviews) , p. 24
Air Force One (1997 Film), by Wolfgang Petersen
- Air Force One (1997 Film) by Wolfgang Petersen
- Career Girls (1997 Film) by Mike Leigh
- The Night of the Murdered Poets, pp. 25-29
[+] The Writer In His Labyrinth (Review) , pp. 30-37
News of a Kidnapping, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
[+] Hostility in America (Review) , pp. 38-39
Crime Is Not the Problem, by Franklin E. Zimring and Gordon Hawkins
- Crime Is Not the Problem by Franklin E. Zimring and Gordon Hawkins
- Four Corners, Vermont, pp. 40-41
- Washington Diarist: Out of Context, pp. 42-44