Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 1, 1996 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 6-7
Britain's beef with Europe, TNR's beef with morality, etc.
- TRB: Unchristian, p. 8
Why is Ralph Reed pretending to be apolitical?
- Undue Credit, p. 9
What's so great about tax credits?
- Notebook, p. 10
Congressional candidates v. the law, ACT UP v. PETA, etc.
- On the Hill: The Hall Monitor, p. 11
A GOP militant battles his party
- Yangtze Postcard: River Phoenix, pp. 12-13
What does the colossal Three Gorges dam project say about China?
- Campaign Fever, p. 14
Russia's pathologies: a primer
- Science Fiction, pp. 15-17
Can postmodernists take a joke?
- Sweet Charity, p. 18
The politics of conservative compassion
- The Last Integrationist, pp. 19-26
Some on the left see civil rights legend John Lewis as a relic, naive about whites and ...
- All in the Family, p. 27
Black family life meets the middle class
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Human Wrongs (2 Reviews) , p. 28
Hunters of Utopias (1996 Film), by David Blaustein
- Hunters of Utopias (1996 Film) by David Blaustein
- Who Killed Pasolini? (1995 Film) by Marco Tullio Giordana
[+] A New Nadezhda (Review) , pp. 29-31
Back in Time: My Life, My Fate, My Epoch, by Nadezhda A. Joffe
- Back in Time: My Life, My Fate, My Epoch by Nadezhda A. Joffe
[+] The Book of Unmonastic Life (2 Reviews) , pp. 32-37
Uncollected Poems, by Rainer Maria Rilke and Edward A. Snow
- Uncollected Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke and Edward A. Snow
- Life of a Poet: Rainer Maria Rilke by Ralph Freedman
[+] The Call of the Wilder (Review) , pp. 38-39
Wilder Times, by Kevin Lally
- Wilder Times by Kevin Lally
- A Baseball Team of Unknown Navy Pilots Pacific Theater, 1944, pp. 40-41
- Cambridge Diarist: Reunion Dues, pp. 42-44