The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 14, 1994 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondent, pp. 4-5
Prozac platitudes, gender defenders, wage wars, etc.
- TRB: Slav Story, p. 6
A brief history of Russia's Serbian gambits
- The Universal Fallacy, p. 7
Why Clinton's line in the sand on "universal coverage" is a false divider
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The sins of Edward Said, remembering Randy Shilts, etc.
- White House Watch: Saudi Doody, p. 10
Foreign policy as salesmanship
- Mr. Doubtfire, p. 11
Conservatives shouldn't get too uptight about Yeltsin's revanchism. His army couldn't m...
- HUD-dled Masses, pp. 12-15
Henry Cisneros came into office committed to breaking up concentrations of the urban po...
- The Dole Hole, pp. 16-17
One of workfare's biggest problems is getting real jobs for welfare recipients. Here's ...
- Oh, Brother, pp. 18-23
A murderous middle-class fable
- The Coverage of Happiness, pp. 24-29
There are two conversations going on right now that might usefully get in touch with on...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Woman in History (Review) , pp. 30-31
The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1993 Film), by Ray Muller
- The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1993 Film) by Ray Muller
[+] Law's Labors Lost (5 Reviews) , pp. 32-37
The Firm, by John Grisham
- The Firm by John Grisham
- Pleading Guilty by Scott Turow
- Blind Justice by William Bernhardt
- Skadden by Lincoln Caplan
- The Lost Lawyer by Anthony T. Kronman
[+] Reality Bites (Review) , pp. 38-39
Excursions in the Real World, by William Trevor
- Excursions in the Real World by William Trevor
[+] Women's Hour (Review) , pp. 40-43
Fire With Fire, by Naomi Wolf
- Fire With Fire by Naomi Wolf
- Creation According to Ovid, pp. 44-45
- Washington Diarist: A Steal, pp. 46-48