The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 8, 1992 Issue - 22 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The flat tax society, Jennie Livingston's basic instinct, etc.
- TRB: Accounts Receivable, p. 6
How some of the rich, courtesy of George Bush, are not paying any taxes at all
- Th Uncountry, p. 7
China's continuing war on Tibet
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The Lawrence Welk Memorial Bushism, etc.
- Big Su, p. 10
Animism and democracy in last week's Thai revolt
- On the Hill: Exodus, p. 11
Fleeing congressmen claim they're quitting becase the system is deadlocked. Don't belie...
- The Shrub File: The Riot Act, p. 12
The urban unrest thing. Agent Duke reports
- Baku Postcard: Turkish Bath, pp. 13-15
Was Napoleon a pasha?
- Going for Broke, p. 16
How bankruptcy rules favor the rich
- Unveiled, pp. 17-19
Is the world's largest theocracy loosening its grip?
- The Bank Dick, pp. 20-21
Why Malcolm Wilkey's investigation of the House Bank affair looks more and more like an...
- The Idiot Culture, pp. 22-29
Reflections on post-Watergate journalism
- Homocons, pp. 30-31
Meet a new species of Republican
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Wrongdoings (2 Reviews) , p. 32
Incident at Oglala (1992 Film), by Michael Apted
- Incident at Oglala (1992 Film) by Michael Apted
- The Last Butterfly (1991 Film) by Karel Kachyna
- On Theater: 'Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That, pp. 33-34
Jelly's Last Jam, George C. Wolfe's new jazz musical about Jelly Roll Morton; the new o...
[+] Chipmunk Serenade (Review) , pp. 35-37
The Age of Missing Information, by Bill McKibben
- The Age of Missing Information by Bill McKibben
[+] Yankee Gnostics (Review) , pp. 38-40
The American Religion, by Harold Bloom
- The American Religion by Harold Bloom
[+] Unnatural Curiosity (Review) , pp. 41-43
The Gates of Ivory, by Margaret Drabble
- The Gates of Ivory by Margaret Drabble
[+] Double Features (Review) , pp. 44-47
Frank Capra, by Joseph McBride
- Frank Capra by Joseph McBride
- Ruby at Auction, pp. 48-50
- Washington Diarist: Waiting for Perot, pp. 51-52
- Cover of Geraldo Rivera