The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 16, 1991 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Heroes and Wimps, pp. 4-5
Would Lamar Alexander climb a tank?
- Correspondence, p. 6
Reporters in the bedroom, April Glaspie's makeup, etc.
- The August Revolution, pp. 7-8
- Mission to Moscow , p. 9
- Notebook , p. 10
- White House Watch: Gate Crasher, pp. 10-11
Boris Yeltsin, beloved in the Russian "White House," has never been welcome at the one ...
- Live Souls, pp. 12-13
Russia's glorious resistance to the failed coup betokens a nation's spiritual awakening
- The Apartment, pp. 14-15
The coup, live in Leningrad
- Emergency Exit, pp. 16-17
Communism's pathetic departure from the world stage
- When Putsch Comes To Shove, pp. 18-23
From his mysterious midnight swim to his confrontation with the coup plotters, how Bori...
- The Empire Strikes Out, pp. 24-29
The good news is that the coup's failure means the end of Soviet communism in our time....
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Transmigrated Souls (2 Reviews) , p. 30
Dead Again (1991 Film), by Kenneth Branagh
- Dead Again (1991 Film) by Kenneth Branagh
- The Commitments (1991 Film) by Alan Parker
- On Theater: The Use and Abuse of Multiculturalism, pp. 31-33
How a cosmopolitan ideal became a separatist slogan
[+] The Chill of Virtue (Review) , pp. 34-39
Socrates: Ironist and Moral Philosopher, by Gregory Vlastos
- Socrates: Ironist and Moral Philosopher by Gregory Vlastos
[+] Four Blind Mice (Review) , pp. 40-41
American Intellectuals and African Nationalists, 1955-1970, by Martin Staniland
- American Intellectuals and African Nationalists, 1955-1970 by Martin Staniland
- Aunt Maude's Pocketbook, pp. 42-45
[+] The Common Man (Review) , pp. 46-49
Carl Sandburg: A Biography, by Penelope Niven
- Carl Sandburg: A Biography by Penelope Niven
- Paris Diarist: Liberation, pp. 50-52