The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 2, 1991 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Noblesse Oblige, pp. 4-5
It's better than nothing
- Correspondence, p. 6
Dershowitz's revenge, WASPs in elevators, etc.
- The Wimps Factor, p. 7
If George Bush is so terrible, why don't the top Democrats try running against him?
- Notebook, p. 8
Trash cans of color, etc.
- New Delhi Postcard: Gandhi Crest, p. 9
The soap opera continues
- Yugo First, pp. 10-11
Any volunteers to sort out the Balkan mess?
- Senator Lazarus, p. 12
Bill Bradley rises from the dead
- Isaiah xxxv, I, p. 13
- Hunter Gatherers, pp. 14-15
Neoconservatives and paleoconservatives wage war with clubs, sticks, and a few million ...
- Sheik to Sheik, pp. 16-17
When BCCI wanted to buy First American Bank in 1981 it was smart enough to buy Clark Cl...
- In Defense of Multiculturalism, pp. 18-21
A member of New York's Sobol Commission on multicultural education responses to his cri...
- All the President's Perks, pp. 22-25
From presidential cuff links to portal-to-portal limousine service, the White House is ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Billionaires and Lesser Folk (3 Reviews) , pp. 26-27
Life Stinks (1991 Film), by Mel Brooks
- Life Stinks (1991 Film) by Mel Brooks
- Boyz 'N the Hood (1991 Film) by John Singleton
- Trust (1991 Film) by Hal Hartley
- On Music: The Sight of Music, pp. 28-32
How videotape is transforming the appreciation of classical music
[+] Rightalk (Review) , p. 33
Rights Talk, by Mary Ann Glendon
- Rights Talk by Mary Ann Glendon
- Colored Illustration, Tipped-In, pp. 34-36
[+] The God That Failed Again (3 Reviews) , pp. 37-42
Blood of Brothers, by Stephen Kinzer
- Blood of Brothers by Stephen Kinzer
- Inside Central America by Clifford Krauss
- The Contras, 1980-1989 by R. Pardo-Maurer
- Washington Diarist: Pennsylvania Dreamin', pp. 43-44