The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 8, 1991 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Reality Check, pp. 4-5
Ethics and the 'perceptions' dodge
- Correspondence, p. 6
Britain's one-party state, more Jewish rock stars, etc.
- Breaking the Codes, p. 7
- Shamir Campaign , p. 8
- Notebook , p. 9
- Ekaterinburg Postcard: Tsar Quality, pp. 10-11
The Romanovs and Yeltsin
- Womb for Debate, p. 12
A single currency will be easy compared with getting the nations of Europe to harmonize...
- Terminators 2, pp. 13-14
Chuck Robb and Doug Wilder fight to the finish
- Voice Lessons, p. 15
The government should leave Radio Free Europe, Radio Liberty, and the National Endowmen...
- Bedtime Story, pp. 16-17
Will the last member of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union please turn off the lig...
- The Case Against NASA, pp. 18-25
The dream of space exploration has become a nightmare of interplanetary waste and stupi...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Early Summer Harvest (3 Reviews) , p. 26
Everybody's Fine (1991 Film), by Giuseppe Tornatore
- Everybody's Fine (1991 Film) by Giuseppe Tornatore
- Europa, Europa (1990 Film) by Agnieszka Holland
- Slacker (1991 Film) by Richard Linklater
- A Theocratic State, pp. 27-31
Why the Church in Poland, which was indispensable in creating Polish democracy, is now ...
[+] The Fixer (Review) , pp. 32-35
Counsel to the President, by Clark Clifford and Richard Holbrooke
- Counsel to the President by Clark Clifford and Richard Holbrooke
[+] Viral Cultures (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
History of AIDS, by Mirko D. Grmek
- History of AIDS by Mirko D. Grmek
- The History of Syphilis by Claude Quetel
- Stuck, pp. 38-40
[+] Shrinking Authority (Review) , pp. 41-42
The Legacy of Erich Fromm, by Daniel Burston
- The Legacy of Erich Fromm by Daniel Burston
- Washington Diarist: Truth or Hair, pp. 43-44
A cure for recession