The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 19, 1990 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Call Me Irresponsible, pp. 4-5
Darman, Moynihan, and the politics of responsibility
- Correspondence, p. 6
Giving Brits a break, radicals a hard time, etc.
- Soldier Boys Soldier Girls, pp. 7-8
- Sandinista Fix? , pp. 9-10
- Notebook , p. 11
- The Long Fax, pp. 11-13
An anonymous postcard and an unpublished manuscript are clues to the identity of "Z," h...
- Hour of Power, p. 14
With the China vote, Bush's steady accumulation of clout pays off
- Morris Code, pp. 15-16
The nerdy grad student picked on the by Justice Department has nothing to do with the r...
- Hait Postcard: Meet the New Boss, pp. 17-19
A hard rain falls on Port-au-Prince as Gen. Prosper Avril tries to fill Papa doc's jack...
- Gays in Arms, pp. 20-23
The Defense Department spends time and money hunting down homosexuals who have managed ...
- ROTC Ya Later, pp. 24-25
How to get a free ride: attend college on an Army scholarship, then after graduation re...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Old Times (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Flashback (1990 Film), by Franco Amurri
- Flashback (1990 Film) by Franco Amurri
- Cinema Paradiso (1988 Film) by Giuseppe Tornatore
[+] Dirt and Democracy (5 Reviews) , pp. 27-30
For Adult Users Only, by Susan Gubar and Joan Hoff
- For Adult Users Only by Susan Gubar and Joan Hoff
- Pornography: Men Possessing Women by Andrea Dworkin
- The New Politics of Pornography by Donald Alexander Downs
- Hard Core by Linda Williams
- Freedom and Taboo by Richard S. Randall
[+] The Ugly American (Review) , pp. 31-33
The Diary of H.L. Mencken, by Charles A. Fecher and H.L. Mencken
- The Diary of H.L. Mencken by Charles A. Fecher and H.L. Mencken
[+] The Professor of Necessity (Review) , p. 34
The Ideologies of Theory: Essays, 1971-1986, by Fredric Jameson
- The Ideologies of Theory: Essays, 1971-1986 by Fredric Jameson
- Riva Looking Towards Sirmione, pp. 35-38
[+] Science for Sale (Review) , pp. 39-41
Gene Dreams, by Robert Teitelman
- Gene Dreams by Robert Teitelman
- Washington Diarist: Who Won Europe?, pp. 42-44
It wasn't Reagan. it wasn't Strobe Talbott. It was the Sex Pistols