Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 4, 1989 Issue - 21 Articles
- Fractured Gospel, pp. 4-5
William Lucas, conservative theology and affirmative action
- Correspondence, p. 6
Affirmative action, what's made in America, etc.
- Don't B-2 Sure, p. 7
The old reasons for the Stealth bomber are still no good, and the new reasons aren't mu...
- Notebook, p. 8
What's on TV, freedom in Estonia, etc.
- White House Watch: Patriots and Traders, pp. 9-11
A guide to the Bush administration trade wars
- Look Out, Gringo, p. 12
Central America is an imminent debacle for the United States. What to do about it
- The Kids Are Fine, pp. 13-14
The joy of reading other people's class notes
- A Tale of Two Eyes, p. 15
Two torn retinas, two operations in two nations, two very different bills
- Washington Scene: Mecca Bucks, pp. 16-17
Why is the side of every bush suddenly touting the glories of Saudi Arabia?
- McHighways, p. 18
The case for and against private toll roads
- Leave Home Without It, pp. 19-22
Do you know me? I'm one of 32 million fools who shell out $55 or more every year for a ...
- Why Are We In Afghanistan?, pp. 23-25
Now that Kabul hasn't fallen, and the freedom fighters are slaughtering one another, re...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: An Arrival (Review) , pp. 26-27
Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989 Film), by Steven Soderbergh
- Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989 Film) by Steven Soderbergh
- On Art: Sculpted Essences, pp. 28-29
The good old ambitions of the best new sculpture
[+] The Art of Survival (Review) , pp. 30-33
Life With a Star, by Jiri Weil
- Life With a Star by Jiri Weil
[+] Field of Dreams (Review) , p. 34
From Beirut to Jerusalem, by Thomas L. Friedman
- From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas L. Friedman
- A Love Poem, pp. 35-37
- An Old Joke: Christ and the Woman Take in Adultery, p. 38
[+] London Forms (Review) , pp. 39-41
First Light, by Peter Ackroyd
- First Light by Peter Ackroyd
- Cape Cod Diarist, pp. 42-44