Content Archive of Printed Periodicals and Books
The Freeman Archives
The Freeman • 56 Years, 639 Issues, 9,179 Articles, 40,767pp
October 1996 Issue - 24 Articles
- Perspective, pp. 650-651
- Classical Libertarian Compromises on State Education, pp. 652-657
Inconsistencies in the writings of Tom Paine, Adam Smith, and John Stuart Mill.
- The Vatican and the Free Market, pp. 658-660
The Catholic Church and pro-free enterprise intellectuals find common ground.
- Ideas and Consequences, pp. 661-662
The Privatization Revolution
- A Good Conversation and the Marketplace, pp. 663-666
Market prices speak louder than words.
- Rights, Freedom, and Rivalry, pp. 667-669
Avoiding a semantic trap.
- The Flat Tax: Simplicity Desimplified, pp. 670-673
There ain't no such thing as a big simple tax.
- Cutting Marginal Tax Rates: Evidence from the 1920s, pp. 674-677
A lesson from history.
- Government's Hostile Takeover, pp. 678-679
How confiscatory estate taxes destroy wealth.
- Potomac Principles, pp. 680-681
- Why Some Federal Jobs Should Be Abolished, pp. 682-683
A rationale for reducing a payroll financed by plunder.
- What Is Multiculturalism?, pp. 684-686
Unmasking the dangers of politicized cultural relativism.
- The Bright Side of Failure, pp. 687-690
The detrimental effects of governmental attempts to promote success.
- Individual Happiness and the Minimal State, pp. 691-692
People are happier when they are in control of their own actions.
- Managing Dissonance in the Iron Triangle, pp. 693-697
Why legislators, bureaucrats, and special interest groups behave as they do.
- Thomas Babington Macaulay-Extraordinary Eloquence for Liberty, pp. 698-705
The inspiring life of the great English historian.
Economics on Trial
- Classical Economists, Good or Bad?, pp. 706-707
[+] Review Liberty for the 21st Century, by Tibor R. Mach... (Review) , p. 708
- Liberty for the 21st Century by Tibor R. Machan and Douglas B. Rasmussen
[+] Review Environmentalism at the Crossroads, by Jonatha... (Review) , p. 708
- Environmentalism at the Crossroads by Jonathan H. Adler
[+] Review The Just Society, by Ellen Frankel Paul, Fred ... (Review) , p. 709
- The Just Society by Ellen Frankel Paul, Fred D. Miller, Jr., and Jeffrey Paul, ...
[+] Review Principle and Interest, by Herbert E. Sloan (Review) , p. 710
- Principle and Interest by Herbert E. Sloan
[+] Review Taking Responsibility, by Nathaniel Branden (Review) , p. 711
- Taking Responsibility by Nathaniel Branden
[+] Review The State of Humanity, by Julian Lincoln Simon (Review) , p. 712
- The State of Humanity by Julian Lincoln Simon
- Notes from Fee
Economic Ends and Means