The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
March 1999 Issue - 42 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-7
Taking Out the TV Trash.
- Sidelights, pp. 8-9
Deadly Sprouts. Doggie Drugs. Secret Agent Furby. Lady Wrestlers.
- Scan: Short News and Commentary, pp. 10-17
A Nazi's Confession. The White House Propaganda Empire. a Conservative Coup at the Osca...
- "Live" with TAE, pp. 18-23
Lowell "Bud" Paxson and Jeff Sagansky, Two High-Flying TV Producers, Launch a New, 100 ...
- Trash TV at Flood Tide, pp. 24-31
TV Nose-Dived into the Gutter This 1998-99 Season. If You Haven't Been Paying Attention...
Why Cleaning Up Television is Important to the Nation
- --- by Paul Simon, p. 32
- --- by Sam Brownback, p. 33
- --- by Joseph Lieberman, pp. 34-36
Seven Practical Ways to Begin Cleaning Up the Wasteland
- Organize Parents over the Internet., p. 37
- Have the TV Industry Police Itself., p. 38
- Have Advertisers Play a Stronger Role., p. 39
- Boycott the Worst Shows., pp. 40-41
- Use Economic Incentives., pp. 42-43
- Have Physicians Educate Parents., p. 44
- Swap Real Lives for Virtual Ones., pp. 45-47
- Is the Problem Television or Viewers?, pp. 48-55
The State of Our Airwaves.
Hollywood's Better Side
- You Know Tinseltown's Famous Jerks. Now Meet the Industry's Normal People and Some of Their Products., pp. 56-58
- Bookish Broadcasting , p. 59
- Commercial TV's Grand Slam , pp. 60-61
- Iliad in Space , p. 62
Life Imitates Art
- How TV Is Turning More and More Aspects of American Life into Pro Wrestling, p. 63
- News Shows Open Gateways to the Internet , pp. 63-66
- To Clone or Not to Clone, pp. 67-69
The Ethics of Cloning Humans.
- Why Jews Should Pray for a Christian American, pp. 70-71
An Orthodox Rabbi Argues That the Prosperity and Security of All Americans Depend on th...
In Real Life: First-Person America
- The Long View of Los Angeles., p. 72
- Small Town Life., p. 73
- Social Security Watch, p. 74
Private Retirement Accounts Are Pro-family.
- The Economist, p. 75
The Fantasy Tax: None.
- Enterprising, p. 76
Small Business Horrors in the Courts.
- Flashback, p. 77
Race and Politics on the American Frontier.
- Hollywood Report, p. 78
"King of the Hill" Sends up Laughs from the Heartland.
[+] Willie Wonka They're Not (Review) , p. 79
The Emperors of Chocolate, by Joel Glenn Brenner
- The Emperors of Chocolate by Joel Glenn Brenner
[+] Innocence Agog (Review) , p. 80
Saving Childhood, by Michael Medved and Diane Medved
- Saving Childhood by Michael Medved and Diane Medved
[+] Thurgood Marshall: American Neoconservative? (Review) , p. 81
Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary, by Juan Williams
- Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary by Juan Williams
[+] Life in the Brats' Lane (Review) , p. 82
To the Limit, by Marc Eliot
- To the Limit by Marc Eliot
[+] Eurotrash Recycled (Review) , p. 83
Reconstructing America, by James W. Ceaser
- Reconstructing America by James W. Ceaser
[+] The Religious Roots of Success (Review) , p. 84
Progress and Religion, by Christopher Dawson and Christina Scott
- Progress and Religion by Christopher Dawson and Christina Scott
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 85-89
Sneaky Trade Barriers...Conservatives Are More Generous...Secondhand Smoke and Mirrors....
- Opinion Pulse: The Latest Survey Data, pp. 90-93
What People Really Watch on TV. Alternatives to Social Security.
- The Mail, pp. 94-95
Blacks, Asians, and Racism. Miles to Go before We Rest. A Schoolteacher for Choice, Mao...
- Last Gasp, pp. 96-98
- Cover illustration