The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
May 1998 Issue - 37 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-7
Children Need Parents, Not Experts.
- Sidelights, pp. 8-9
Pet Diet Pills. Knuckle-Dragging Intellectuals. Kenneth Starr, College Democrat.
- Scan: Short News and Commentary, pp. 10-17
Peggy Noonan on the Lite Presidency. The Folks Who Brought You the Unabomber. Unduing t...
- Indicators: Numbers Etc., pp. 18-19
The Bad News: Our Public School Disaster Is Deepening. The Good News: Americans Have St...
- "Live" with TAE, pp. 20-25
The Man Behind Braveheart and The Man in the Iron Mask, Talks about Leonardo DiCaprio, ...
- The Problem with Day Care, pp. 26-44
There Is No Adequate Substitute for a Child's Mother and Father. Here's Why.
- Discovering Motherhood, pp. 45-49
A Feminist Journalist "Surrenders" to Motherhood and Discovers She's Not Oppressed but ...
Is Going Home Possible?
- Families Who Put Their Kids before Their Jobs and Survived, Even Thrived., p. 50
- The Boom in Home Businesses - and What's Needed to Encourage This Family-Friendly Trend., pp. 51-52
How to Help Parents - and How Not to
- Tax Policies That Support At-Home Parenting., p. 53
- Pols Who Sniff at Moms Like Her., p. 54
- How a Free-Market Economist Learned That the Market Can't Provide Mothering., pp. 55-57
Cracks In Asia's Berlin Hall
- Introduction, p. 58
- Look Who's Declining Now , p. 59
- End of the Asian Model? , p. 60
- Keep the Baby, Dump the Bathwater , p. 61
- Why Softening the Blow is a Mistake , p. 62
- Gravy Trains Don't Run On Time , p. 63
The Third Rail of Politics Switches Sides
- The Planets Are Suddenly Aligned for Serious Social Security Reform: Demographic and Economic Shifts Are Causing Americans to Think of Themselves as Investors, Rather Than People Who Deserve Entitlements., p. 64
- A Chance to Improve , pp. 64-67
- Transcript: Words Worth Repeating, pp. 68-69
American History, and Compares Our Post-War Presidents.
In Real Life: First-Person America
- Catches a .38 Caliber Hollowpoint Bullet., p. 70
- Incompetent Road Warriors., pp. 70-71
- Enterprising, pp. 72-73
A Real-World Test: Do Chain Bookstores Reduce Variety and Choice?
- The Economist, pp. 74-76
A Family Dairy Farmer Reports That Government "Help" Threatens to Put Him Out of Business.
- Flashback, p. 77
Multicultural Soccer Is Making Headway among American Youth. Patriots, Arm Thyselves wi...
- Hollywood Report, pp. 78-79
Only Hollywood Could Make Heroes Out of Lawyers.
[+] Shamelot (Review) , p. 80
The Dark Side of Camelot, by Seymour M. Hersh
- The Dark Side of Camelot by Seymour M. Hersh
[+] The Maestro Dunnit (Review) , p. 81
Who Killed Classical Music?, by Norman Lebrecht
- Who Killed Classical Music? by Norman Lebrecht
[+] No Keepin' 'Em on the Farm Once They've Seen Parris (Review) , p. 82
Making the Corps, by Thomas E. Ricks
- Making the Corps by Thomas E. Ricks
[+] Inside the Underclass (Review) , p. 83
The Corner, by David Simon and Edward Burns
- The Corner by David Simon and Edward Burns
[+] When Men Were Men (Review) , p. 84
Shane, by Jack Schaefer
- Shane by Jack Schaefer
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 85-89
What Downsized Government?...High-Tech Pork...Two Cheers for Advertising...Zoning Right...
- Opinion Pulse: The Latest Survey Data, pp. 90-93
What Women Want. Child Care. Family Rules. Rebellious Teens?
- The Mail, pp. 94-95
Country Music at Yale. Carrot-and-Stick Welfare Reform. A New Yorker Learns to Love Nas...
- Last Gasp, pp. 96-98
- Cover photography