The American Enterprise Archives
The American Enterprise • 10 Years, 68 Issues, 2,217 Articles, 5,684pp
September 1995 Issue - 50 Articles
- Bird's Eye, pp. 4-5
On Work, Truth, and Romance: No Flinching Allowed.
- Sidelights, p. 6
Co-Ed Slumber Parties. A Hospital for Hypochondriacs. The $399,418 Union Joe.
- Scan, pp. 7-17
- Indicators: Numbers Etc., pp. 18-20
College Boom. White Voters/Black Representatives. Enviro-Activists. Welfare Hurts.
- A Case for Censorship., p. 21
- He's Cracked., pp. 21-23
- From Underclass to Working Class, pp. 24-28
It's the Holy Grail, and It Can Be Done. But Not by Government Training Programs. By Pr...
Work, Not Welfare
- The State of Wisconsin Has Big Plans to End Welfare and Substitute Jobs Instead., pp. 29-30
- The Mormon Church Has Been Running Such a System for Decades., pp. 31-32
- African Americans and the Entrepreneurial Gap, p. 33
More Effort at Starting Small Businesses Could Cure What Ails American Blacks Economica...
- Family Responsibilities Can't Be Managed Like Business Commitments., p. 34
The Academic Trap
- Too Many Americans Go to College., p. 35
- Kids Who Don't Take to Schooling to Go into Business Instead., p. 36
- Child Labor., p. 37
- She Had Gone to Work Instead of University., p. 38
Work Versus the Rest of Life
- Work Is Gobbling Up Other Worthwhile Undertakings., pp. 39-40
- A Big Choice., pp. 41-42
- How Hard Are You Working?, p. 43
Conventional Wisdom Says the Average American Is Toiling Longer These Days. Not True.
- Payday Mayday, pp. 44-48
Wages Have Stopped Growing, and Downward Mobility Is Squeezing Many Americans Out of th...
The Double-Edged Sword of Race-Pride
- On Honoring Blackness, p. 49
- Beware of Race-Pride, p. 50
- Pride and Prejudice, pp. 51-54
Some Efforts to Build Black Pride Produce Ignorance and Chauvinism Instead.
- Alternative Afrocentrisms, pp. 55-58
- Jessie Fauset, pp. 59-60
- Zora Neale Hurston, pp. 61-63
- Unpristine Nature, pp. 64-66
Mother Nature Is Impure, Cruel, and Sometimes Out of Control. She Needs Man's Help.
- Managing Nature in South Africa, pp. 67-68
- Managing Nature in the Future, p. 69
- 100000 Prisoners and the Bomb, pp. 70-73
A True Story of Hiroshima Told by a Distinguished British Man of Letters and Former Pri...
- Transcript: Words Worth Repeating, pp. 74-75
Pocahontas Is Poco-Dishonest When It Comes to Depicting Indian Life.
In Real Life: The Daily Work of Americans
- The Blooming of His Small Business., p. 76
- The Ghost of "Some Dude.", p. 77
- A Work-and-Motherhood Collage., p. 77
- An Employer Can't Do the Job of the Schools., p. 78
- On the Humble Nobility of the Weekend Warrior., p. 79
- Enterprising: Business as an Imaginative Act, pp. 80-81
Should the Feds Have to Approve a Private Company's Every New Hire?
- The Economist, pp. 82-83
Some Fair and Sensible Ways to Fix the Endangered Species Act.
- Flashback, pp. 84-85
Travel Back to the Founding of the U.N. and Listen to What Silly Opponents Said.
[+] Victorian Principles (Review) , p. 86
The De-Moralization of Society, by Gertrude Himmelfarb
- The De-Moralization of Society by Gertrude Himmelfarb
[+] Terrible Ted (Review) , p. 87
Citizen Turner, by Robert Goldberg and Gerald Jay Goldberg
- Citizen Turner by Robert Goldberg and Gerald Jay Goldberg
[+] Smash Your Mainframe? (Review) , p. 88
Rebels Against the Future, by Kirkpatrick Sale
- Rebels Against the Future by Kirkpatrick Sale
[+] Who's Sorry Now? (Review) , p. 89
In Retrospect, by Robert S. McNamara and Brian VanDeMark
- In Retrospect by Robert S. McNamara and Brian VanDeMark
[+] Calvin at Sea (Review) , pp. 90-91
Billy Budd and Other Stories, by Herman Melville
- Billy Budd and Other Stories by Herman Melville
- Authors: Literary Lives, pp. 92-93
Molly Ivins Is a Lovable Left-Wing Cynic - And a Shameless Word Thief.
- The Digest: Summaries of Important Research, pp. 94-99
Regulating the Press...Costly Free Vaccines...the End of Mob Rule...Japan's Secrets.
- Opinion Pulse: The Latest Survey Data, pp. 100-108
A Profile of College Freshmen...Unpopular Lawyers...O. J. Fallout...PBS...the Tories.
- The Mail, pp. 109-110
- Biograph, p. 111
- Names in the News, pp. 112-114
- Cover Illustration