The Unz Review - Mobile
A Collection of Interesting, Important, and Controversial Perspectives Largely Excluded from the American Mainstream Media
 Forum
How East Palo Alto Went from Murder Capital of Nation in 1992 to One Homicide in 2017
🔊 Listen RSS
Email This Page to Someone

Remember My Information

=>

Bookmark Toggle AllToCAdd to LibraryRemove from Library • BShow CommentNext New CommentNext New Reply
Search Text Case Sensitive  Exact Words  Include Comments
List of Bookmarks

EAST PALO ALTO — They were toddlers when their town earned the dubious distinction of America’s murder capital a quarter-century ago. In this bayside community bypassed by Silicon Valley’s wealth, gunfire became the soundtrack to childhoods spent avoiding parks and hustling home before dark.

Now, as Detective Lydia Cardoza and Officers Jose Luaorozco and Robert Olvera patrol East Palo Alto’s streets, their Peninsula hometown that witnessed so much tragedy has undergone a transformation few had imagined possible. Violent crime has dropped precipitously — by over 60 percent in the past 25 years. Murder has almost vanished.

http://newsvideo.mercurynews.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=90757&ndn.siteSection=bangnews&ndn.videoId=33384336

“Now you see people jogging, and kids playing in the parks,” said Luaorozco, a 26-year-old Marine veteran and two-year officer who once lived on Dumbarton Avenue. “They’re not worried if there’s going to be a drive-by shooting.”

East Palo Alto became the per-capita murder leader of the United States in 1992 when its 42 homicides, fueled by gang and drug warfare among its population of 24,000, pushed its killing rates past crime-plagued Compton and Washington, D.C.

In 2017, the city logged one homicide, a mid-December murder-suicide between domestic partners, not a street crime. Since 2014, the city has seen no more than a handful of killings each year. Aggravated assault totals are hovering in the 50s, plummeting 80 percent from four years ago.

There’s no denying that has been helped by East Palo Alto’s economic transformation — the city has benefited from regional tech growth and the arrival of big-box stores, furniture giant IKEA and the Four Seasons Hotel, which replaced the liquor stores that lined Whiskey Gulch off Highway 101.

But economics alone don’t explain the change.How East Palo Alto shed its murderous rep is really a story of how a community came to trust its police force, maybe for the first time ever, and in doing so finally fulfilled one of the main reasons for the city’s existence.

• Category: Ideology • Tags: Crime, Hispanic Crime, Immigration 
Hide 45 CommentsLeave a Comment
Commenters to Ignore...to FollowEndorsed Only
    []
  1. Anon • Disclaimer says:

I don’t really know much about East Palo Alto but after reading this, a question begs to be asked. Has there been a demographic or ethnic change in that area over the past 25 years?

Read More
    • Replies: @Logan
    Wiki: The racial makeup of East Palo Alto was 1,754 (6.2%) White, 4,704 (16.7%) African American, 120 (0.4%) Native American, 1,057 (3.8%) Asian, 2,118 (7.5%) Pacific Islander, 10,694 (38.0%) from other races, and 1,358 (4.8%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 18,147 persons (64.5%). Among the Hispanic population, 15,319 (54.4%) are Mexican, 69 (0.2%) are Puerto Rican, 23 (0.1%) are Cuban, and 2,736 (9.7%) are other Hispanic or Latino.
    , @forgottenpseudonym
    If you read the article, you'd probably be able to answer your own question.
    , @Ron Unz

I don’t really know much about East Palo Alto but after reading this, a question begs to be asked. Has there been a demographic or ethnic change in that area over the past 25 years?

http://www.unz.com/runz/race-and-crime-in-america/#p_4_12
    , @biz

Has there been a demographic or ethnic change in that area over the past 25 years?

To say yes would be an understatement.
    , @jamesc
    I thought the same and did a quick google search.
    It would appear that the blacks moved out and the hispanics moved in.
    , @disrespekt
    Gosh, no...it could never have been that black people moved out and "The Violence" somehow followed them to "plague," "besiege," and "beset" them. The Violence is what is to blame here.
    ReplyAgree/Disagree/Etc.
    AgreeDisagreeLOLTroll
    These buttons register your public Agreement, Disagreement, Troll, or LOL with the selected comment. They are ONLY available to recent, frequent commenters who have saved their Name+Email using the 'Remember My Information' checkbox, and may also ONLY be used once per hour.
    Ignore Commenter Follow Commenter
    Sharing Comment via Twitter
    /forum/how-east-palo-alto-went-from-murder-capital-of-nation-in-1992-to-one-homicide-in-2017/#comment-2142208
    More... This Commenter This Thread Hide Thread Display All Comments
  2. Alden says:

E. Palo Alto was created as a giant housing project for the black household help serving the wealthy Whites of Hillsbrough, Menlo Park, Palo Alto and the rest of S. San Mateo and Santa Clara. Their children grew up to be welfare mommas and criminals. End of story.

I haven’t heard of E. Palo Alto for decades. Now I suppose, like every inch of land in S. San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, it’s too expensive to house black criminals and their welfare mommas.

Big box stores love being urban pioneers settling in project country. The land is very cheap. The county, not black city governments gives them every reduction, zoning exemption and help to resettle. It’s kind of like the Homestead Act in the 1860′s and recruitment of Scandinavians to settle along the railroad line in the north west to settle injun territory west of the Mississippi Missouri.

The big stores bring in Whites for shopping. The parking lots are heavily guarded. There are lots and lots of non politically incorrect racist security guards to keep the indigenous savages out of the parking lots.

Think Daniel Boone’s fort in Kentucky.

The black household help has been replaced by Hispanics Thanks Be To God. The Hispanic children of the household help are civilized enough that they don’t need to be confined to a reservation to keep them from destroying the neighborhood communities. Unlike the black E Palo Altoians, they even grow up to be normal.

Read More
    • Agree: Clyde
    • Replies: @Bill Jones
    " There are lots and lots of non politically incorrect racist security guards"

Gotta watch those double negatives.

Or were you?
    ReplyAgree/Disagree/Etc. More... This Commenter This Thread Hide Thread Display All Comments
  3. George says:

One reason there is less crime of all kind, it doesn’t pay. People don’t carry cash anymore, especially in the 90s when atm cards become universally available. People also don’t own nice stuff any more. No more silverware, bronze statues,ect so robbing a home is kind of pointless. Even kidnapping someone doesn’t pay.

As to the economics let us see how the pension crisis plays out. The crime wave of the 1990s was the tail end of the financial crisis of the Vietnam war era playing out. The CALPERS pension scheme either has to suck way more money out of the California economy as taxes or services like police have to be cut, or pensions have to be reduced. If policing is reduced let’s see what happens.

Read More
    ReplyAgree/Disagree/Etc. More... This Commenter Display All Comments
  4. Logan says:
    @Anon
    I don't really know much about East Palo Alto but after reading this, a question begs to be asked. Has there been a demographic or ethnic change in that area over the past 25 years?

Wiki: The racial makeup of East Palo Alto was 1,754 (6.2%) White, 4,704 (16.7%) African American, 120 (0.4%) Native American, 1,057 (3.8%) Asian, 2,118 (7.5%) Pacific Islander, 10,694 (38.0%) from other races, and 1,358 (4.8%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 18,147 persons (64.5%). Among the Hispanic population, 15,319 (54.4%) are Mexican, 69 (0.2%) are Puerto Rican, 23 (0.1%) are Cuban, and 2,736 (9.7%) are other Hispanic or Latino.

Read More
    ReplyAgree/Disagree/Etc. More... This Commenter This Thread Hide Thread Display All Comments
  5. Alden says:

“Violent crime has dropped precipitously — by over 60 percent in the past 25 years. Murder has almost vanished.”

Blacks out, Hispanics, Asians and Whites in. Why can’t newspapers every till why crime statistics change over the years.

It’s happened in every neighborhood in the country. White, low crime. Blacks move in, high crime.
    Whites, Asians, Hispanics move into a black neighborhood, crime miraculously goes way down.

Read More
  6. The San Jose Mercury reporter carefully ignores demography but at least one sentient reader hints that over the period in question the decline in homicides might be related to the decline in the proportion of East Palo Alto’s population that is black, from around 80% down to around 15%.

Read More
  7. @Anon
    I don't really know much about East Palo Alto but after reading this, a question begs to be asked. Has there been a demographic or ethnic change in that area over the past 25 years?

If you read the article, you’d probably be able to answer your own question.

Read More
    • Replies: @Cloudbuster
    Not as far as I could tell. The article doesn't mention at all the dramatic decline in the black population.
    , @anon
    Read the article three times carefully. Told me absolutely nothing. Had to read the comments section to get the truth. The black population fell dramatically in the area. This naturally caused a dramatic decline in crime.
  8. TheJester says:

The rising cost of housing has a way of gentrifying and/or resegregating neighborhoods. The lower class with their culture moves out … and the upper class with their culture moves in. A very easy principle to understand.

We have relatives in Menlo Park who, years ago, paid $750,000 for a house built before WWII as servant quarters. It was about 700 square feet without central heating. The kitchen appliances were quaint; they were the originals. After $600,000 in refurbishing and upgrades, it is a different, larger house with all of the latest gadgets. It takes two professional incomes to make the payments. Gangbangers can’t afford to live in their neighborhood anymore.

Read More
  9. Ron Unz says:
    @Anon

http://www.unz.com/runz/race-and-crime-in-america/#p_4_12

Read More
  10. Thomm says:

The rising cost of housing has a way of gentrifying and/or resegregating neighborhoods.

Section 8 is designed to undo this, and to eradicate the home equity in otherwise expensive, safe neighborhoods.

But I would like to see some actual stats on Section 8, and if there are indeed blacks being injected into Palo Alto, Los Altos, Saratoga, Woodside, etc. amidst $4M homes occupied by 60 y/o white couples and two-income younger Asian couples.

Read More
  11. Thomm says:

Questions :

i) Is there ANY black-majority area in the US, larger than 10,000 people, that is not high crime?
    ii) Is there significant variation in black crime rates by location? Or is it always around 7x to 8x that of non-blacks?

Read More
    • Replies: @hello
    Doing a quick search I was able to find a few majority black, low black crime communities:

50% black Bowie, Maryland (pop. 54k) has a crime rate well below the national average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bowie-Maryland.html

85% black Country Club Hills, Illinois (pop. 17k) has a crime rate below the national average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Country-Club-Hills-Illinois.html

78% black Matteson, Illinois (pop. 19k) has a crime rate below the national average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Matteson-Illinois.html

82% black Richhton Park, Illinois (pop. 14k) has a crime rate below the national average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Richton-Park-Illinois.html

And though not majority black, 41% black Missouri City, Texas (pop. 75k) has a crime rate well below the national average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Missouri-City-Texas.html
  12. athEIst says:

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS.
    Everyone knows the answers are no and yes.
    YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS.

Read More
  13. I bought my first California alcoholic beverage on whiskey road in East Poly. No liquor was sold in Poly then. You have to at least 80 to use the names East Poly and Poly; so I’m appropriating. Mooks called the booze Green Death, but not that night as survived the night in his downtown commune. A few months earlier in other hands, it had concealed stolen automatic weapons. Those were the days. Anyway East Poly was black, run down and threatening. But as another has posted, its color is the color of the domestic help; everyday going up the hill to Woodside, Portola Valley etc. And don’t forget the role of the color of the domestic help in Northern support for desegregation. We have met the enemy and she is making the bed.

Read More
  14. Once the Powers That Be allowed Ikea to build a store on the wrong side of the freeway (101), our African American brothers and sisters in East Palo Alto realized the Hour of Gentrification had come. The waves of (mostly illegal) Mexican immigrants intensified. Strangely, most of these Michoacanos and Jalisciences wanted to work! This perplexed and enraged the African Americans.

There used to be a part of EPA called “Nairobi Village.” (I’m not kidding.) I actually lived on Bell Street for a few months in the 70′s.

Now most of our beloved bearers of culture and joyful spontaneity are gone. Many of them seem to have moved to a town on the Sacramento River Delta called Richmond.

Read More
  15. hello says:
    @Thomm
    Questions :

i) Is there ANY black-majority area in the US, larger than 10,000 people, that is not high crime?
    ii) Is there significant variation in black crime rates by location? Or is it always around 7x to 8x that of non-blacks?

Doing a quick search I was able to find a few majority black, low black crime communities:

50% black Bowie, Maryland (pop. 54k) has a crime rate well below the national average.

85% black Country Club Hills, Illinois (pop. 17k) has a crime rate below the national average.

78% black Matteson, Illinois (pop. 19k) has a crime rate below the national average.

82% black Richhton Park, Illinois (pop. 14k) has a crime rate below the national average.

And though not majority black, 41% black Missouri City, Texas (pop. 75k) has a crime rate well below the national average.

Read More
    • Replies: @VICB3
    The operative term here is "a few." These communities are the exceptions that prove the rule. They're outliers.

Demographics are one thing. I'd be interested to know the psychographics of these places. Are they populated by university educated professionals, doctors, lawyers for the most part? What is the rate of unwed pregnancies? Intact marriages? School quality? What percentage of their offspring go on to legitimate four year colleges? Home ownership? And what are the homes worth? And so on and so forth.

On thing is for sure: With these crime stats, they're sure as hell not Ghetto.

Just a thought.

VicB3
    , @Thomm
    Interesting. So if disregard Bowie, MD on account of only being 50% black, there are still three very small communities (under 20k each) that have an 'alternate universe' aspect to them.

I wonder why those are so low in crime. They are the black equivalent of what the Hamptons or Belvedere would be for white people (top 0.2%). Are they populated by the few educated black immigrants, who desperately want to have nothing to do with US blacks?

Another thought about variance within black crime rates : I have always felt that South Los Angeles, with the Crips and Bloods, were seen as more dangerous just because they were near enough to Hollywood that movies could be made about them. Baltimore, DC, South Chicago, and Oakland are probably no less dangerous, but can't be made famous by movies like BoyZ N the Hood.

Lastly, there was every chance for West Coast blacks to be far better behaved than those from the original 13 states + Deep South. California didn't even join the US until 10 years before the Civil War, and was barely a participant in it. So blacks on the West Coast only arrived there much later and completely of free will. They had the closest thing to a clean slate as they could have gotten.

They have no excuse to whine about 'slavery' or to be dysfunctional. Their behavior strengthens the HBD case against them, and weakens the case of 'it takes centuries to recover from the social damage of slavery'.

, @anon
    So we have three majority black areas with a total combined population of only 50,000 that are exceptions to the rule. I would say these exceptions prove the rule and are probably very atypical black areas. Would be curious to know more about them....
    , @Anon
    I suspect those communities are made up of blacks with populations over the age of 60, namely, they're black retirement spots.
  16. VICB3 says:
    @hello

The operative term here is “a few.” These communities are the exceptions that prove the rule. They’re outliers.

Demographics are one thing. I’d be interested to know the psychographics of these places. Are they populated by university educated professionals, doctors, lawyers for the most part? What is the rate of unwed pregnancies? Intact marriages? School quality? What percentage of their offspring go on to legitimate four year colleges? Home ownership? And what are the homes worth? And so on and so forth.

On thing is for sure: With these crime stats, they’re sure as hell not Ghetto.

Just a thought.

VicB3

Read More
    • Replies: @hello
    Obviously such places are atypical, but I bet there are places like it all over the country, and more than a "few". Anecdotally, I know that up until relatively recently there were black neighborhoods (that have become much more non-black) in the east Oakland hills that had very little crime. I lived for a few years in one of them. It had some doctors and other professionals, but more typical were some of my neighbors I knew personally: a fireman, an airline mechanic, a general contractor, a teacher and a loan officer.
  17. There’s been a price to pay for this reduced violence. Homelessness is soaring in East Palo Alto and RVs dump their sewage right in the streets. Someone has to clean up that sewage…or not I suppose. It sounds like another case of the 1% privatizing the benefits of social policy (nannies and gardeners) while socializing the costs (sewage cleanup, failing schools, Medicaid). But if it pleases Fred Reed and Mark Zuckerberg, who am I to complain.

Read More
  18. nickels says:

Dang, I lived there in the school years.
    Bikes disappeared in about 30 seconds.

Also, I learned that one is safe when biking through such a neighborhood, at least compared with walking, as you outrun those who want to walk apace and beat you after a ritualized session of talking junk.

Read More
  19. biz says:
    @Anon

Has there been a demographic or ethnic change in that area over the past 25 years?

To say yes would be an understatement.

Read More
  20. jamesc says:
    @Anon

Read More
    • Replies: @RealAmericanValuesCirca1776Not1965
    As a lifelong resident of California, I can assure you, it's more like they were driven out than they moved out. Other than their mutual hatred for whites, blacks and Latinos really don't get along. At all. It's been quite fascinating to watch. Y'know, in a morbid, "dear God, what will become of my children's futures" sort of way.
  21. hello says:
    @VICB3
    The operative term here is "a few." These communities are the exceptions that prove the rule. They're outliers.

Demographics are one thing. I'd be interested to know the psychographics of these places. Are they populated by university educated professionals, doctors, lawyers for the most part? What is the rate of unwed pregnancies? Intact marriages? School quality? What percentage of their offspring go on to legitimate four year colleges? Home ownership? And what are the homes worth? And so on and so forth.

On thing is for sure: With these crime stats, they're sure as hell not Ghetto.

Just a thought.

VicB3

Obviously such places are atypical, but I bet there are places like it all over the country, and more than a “few”. Anecdotally, I know that up until relatively recently there were black neighborhoods (that have become much more non-black) in the east Oakland hills that had very little crime. I lived for a few years in one of them. It had some doctors and other professionals, but more typical were some of my neighbors I knew personally: a fireman, an airline mechanic, a general contractor, a teacher and a loan officer.

Read More
  22. Thomm says:
    @hello

Interesting. So if disregard Bowie, MD on account of only being 50% black, there are still three very small communities (under 20k each) that have an ‘alternate universe’ aspect to them.

I wonder why those are so low in crime. They are the black equivalent of what the Hamptons or Belvedere would be for white people (top 0.2%). Are they populated by the few educated black immigrants, who desperately want to have nothing to do with US blacks?

Another thought about variance within black crime rates : I have always felt that South Los Angeles, with the Crips and Bloods, were seen as more dangerous just because they were near enough to Hollywood that movies could be made about them. Baltimore, DC, South Chicago, and Oakland are probably no less dangerous, but can’t be made famous by movies like BoyZ N the Hood.

Lastly, there was every chance for West Coast blacks to be far better behaved than those from the original 13 states + Deep South. California didn’t even join the US until 10 years before the Civil War, and was barely a participant in it. So blacks on the West Coast only arrived there much later and completely of free will. They had the closest thing to a clean slate as they could have gotten.

They have no excuse to whine about ‘slavery’ or to be dysfunctional. Their behavior strengthens the HBD case against them, and weakens the case of ‘it takes centuries to recover from the social damage of slavery’.

Read More
    • Replies: @anon
    "arrived there much later and completely of free will. They had the closest thing to a clean slate as they could have gotten."

This is ten times even more true for all the blacks from the Caribbean who have arrived in Canada and Great Britain. Yet in both places blacks have behaved badly and demonstrated high rates of violence and crime.

"Their behaviour strengthens the HBD case against them..."

Agree 100%. Canada and Britain prove this ten times more then your already good example.
  23. Same old story. Fewer blacks, less crime.

Read More
  24. @Alden
    E. Palo Alto was created as a giant housing project for the black household help serving the wealthy Whites of Hillsbrough, Menlo Park, Palo Alto and the rest of S. San Mateo and Santa Clara. Their children grew up to be welfare mommas and criminals. End of story.

I haven't heard of E. Palo Alto for decades. Now I suppose, like every inch of land in S. San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, it's too expensive to house black criminals and their welfare mommas.

Big box stores love being urban pioneers settling in project country. The land is very cheap. The county, not black city governments gives them every reduction, zoning exemption and help to resettle. It's kind of like the Homestead Act in the 1860's and recruitment of Scandinavians to settle along the railroad line in the north west to settle injun territory west of the Mississippi Missouri.

The big stores bring in Whites for shopping. The parking lots are heavily guarded. There are lots and lots of non politically incorrect racist security guards to keep the indigenous savages out of the parking lots.

Think Daniel Boone's fort in Kentucky.

The black household help has been replaced by Hispanics Thanks Be To God. The Hispanic children of the household help are civilized enough that they don't need to be confined to a reservation to keep them from destroying the neighborhood communities. Unlike the black E Palo Altoians, they even grow up to be normal.

” There are lots and lots of non politically incorrect racist security guards”

Gotta watch those double negatives.

Or were you?

Read More
  25. anon • Disclaimer says:
    @Thomm
    Interesting. So if disregard Bowie, MD on account of only being 50% black, there are still three very small communities (under 20k each) that have an 'alternate universe' aspect to them.

Another thought about variance within black crime rates : I have always felt that South Los Angeles, with the Crips and Bloods, were seen as more dangerous just because they were near enough to Hollywood that movies could be made about them. Baltimore, DC, South Chicago, and Oakland are probably no less dangerous, but can't be made famous by movies like BoyZ N the Hood.

Lastly, there was every chance for West Coast blacks to be far better behaved than those from the original 13 states + Deep South. California didn't even join the US until 10 years before the Civil War, and was barely a participant in it. So blacks on the West Coast only arrived there much later and completely of free will. They had the closest thing to a clean slate as they could have gotten.

They have no excuse to whine about 'slavery' or to be dysfunctional. Their behavior strengthens the HBD case against them, and weakens the case of 'it takes centuries to recover from the social damage of slavery'.

“arrived there much later and completely of free will. They had the closest thing to a clean slate as they could have gotten.”

This is ten times even more true for all the blacks from the Caribbean who have arrived in Canada and Great Britain. Yet in both places blacks have behaved badly and demonstrated high rates of violence and crime.

“Their behaviour strengthens the HBD case against them…”

Agree 100%. Canada and Britain prove this ten times more then your already good example.

Read More
  26. anon • Disclaimer says:
    @hello

So we have three majority black areas with a total combined population of only 50,000 that are exceptions to the rule. I would say these exceptions prove the rule and are probably very atypical black areas. Would be curious to know more about them….

Read More
    • Replies: @Hibernian
    Matteson and Country Club Hills are middle class but not particularly affluent.
  27. anonymous • Disclaimer says:

This Salonga has written a dishonest article. Crime went down due to enlightened policing policies and the arrival of some big-box stores is what he’s trying to sell. Criminal dysfunction can be engineered away. The comments following the story give the real reason, that being that the original troublesome black population moved out. The hooey about how the community came to trust the police could be dispensed with and the article could be reduced to four sentences: The area had a lot of crime. It was blacks doing it. The blacks moved out. No more crime.

Read More
    • Agree: Dan Hayes
    • Replies: @anon
    Agree 100%. The article is a piece of meaningless dross. It was the comments section that provided the truth. A huge decline in blacks led to a huge decline in crime.
    , @Henry's Cat
    Crime levels, including those of violent crime which are probably the least susceptible to statistical manipulation, have fallen in many countries across the past two decades. Not all of that can be placed at the truth of dispersing populations of blacks. But if we accept that blacks are inherently a problem, is the concentration or dispersal of blacks the best policy?
  28. Anon • Disclaimer says:
    @hello

I suspect those communities are made up of blacks with populations over the age of 60, namely, they’re black retirement spots.

Read More
    • Replies: @RadicalCenter
    Bowie, Maryland is a hellish drive away from Washington DC, but it may be that a lot of Bowie's black residents are indeed commuting to federal-government jobs in "the District" that offer good pay and very good benefits and pension.

Bowie is also home to baseball's double-A Bay Sox, a nice little stadium.
    , @Hibernian
    That is not true of the three Illinois (southern Cook County) suburbs mentioned.
  29. Anon • Disclaimer says:

You could get rid of a lot of black crime just by putting blacks in areas that are truly rural instead of cities. That way they’ll bleed out by the time the ambulance arrives. Modern medicine in cities has done a lot to preserve the lives of black criminals and thus creates future crime.

Read More
  30. @Anon
    I suspect those communities are made up of blacks with populations over the age of 60, namely, they're black retirement spots.

Bowie, Maryland is a hellish drive away from Washington DC, but it may be that a lot of Bowie’s black residents are indeed commuting to federal-government jobs in “the District” that offer good pay and very good benefits and pension.

Bowie is also home to baseball’s double-A Bay Sox, a nice little stadium.

Read More
  31. @forgottenpseudonym

Not as far as I could tell. The article doesn’t mention at all the dramatic decline in the black population.

Read More
  32. anon • Disclaimer says:
    @anonymous
    This Salonga has written a dishonest article. Crime went down due to enlightened policing policies and the arrival of some big-box stores is what he's trying to sell. Criminal dysfunction can be engineered away. The comments following the story give the real reason, that being that the original troublesome black population moved out. The hooey about how the community came to trust the police could be dispensed with and the article could be reduced to four sentences: The area had a lot of crime. It was blacks doing it. The blacks moved out. No more crime.

Agree 100%. The article is a piece of meaningless dross. It was the comments section that provided the truth. A huge decline in blacks led to a huge decline in crime.

Read More
  33. anon • Disclaimer says:
    @forgottenpseudonym

Read the article three times carefully. Told me absolutely nothing. Had to read the comments section to get the truth. The black population fell dramatically in the area. This naturally caused a dramatic decline in crime.

Read More
  34. interesting… don’t know much about the area, but in my brief time in Silicon Valley I went out on a few dates with a very pretty latina (Mexican) who lived in East Palo Alto.

She told me that it used to be violent, but it had settled down a lot. This was 5 years ago, and I do recall a shooting or two being reported in the news in that region. She was none too fond of blacks, to put it mildly, saying that they were a ‘curse’ on neighborhoods. Sounds a lot like some areas of LA where the incoming mexicans displaced the pre-existing black population. ‘Straight outta compton’ has a different ring these days.

Read More
  35. @Anon

Gosh, no…it could never have been that black people moved out and “The Violence” somehow followed them to “plague,” “besiege,” and “beset” them. The Violence is what is to blame here.

Read More
  36. @jamesc

As a lifelong resident of California, I can assure you, it’s more like they were driven out than they moved out. Other than their mutual hatred for whites, blacks and Latinos really don’t get along. At all. It’s been quite fascinating to watch. Y’know, in a morbid, “dear God, what will become of my children’s futures” sort of way.

Read More
  37. Ah. Eastern Palo Alto. It’s not full of blacks so much anymore, that’s why crimes down. It’s full of Latinos now. The Latinos don’t like to wholesale slaughter their own to the extent that the blacks do. Other than that, they really are no better than the blacks in terms of contributing to the peace or prosperity of a region. It’s not like EPA is a decent place now. It’s still a nightmarish cesspit, rest assured.

In general, out here in California, Latinos have been very well coordinated and very methodical in their little ‘reconquista’ efforts to drive low income neighborhood inhabitants away and take over their territory until it’s complete with Spanish language-only billboards and local restaurant/store fronts. Oh, and their own Latino gangs of full-face tattooed dregs hanging out in their junk-filled yards, in wifebeaters, staring down any passing vehicles. That’s still very much a thing in EPA. It’s just you can see the tattoos better now because the dregs have slightly lighter brown skin.

Read More
    • Replies: @Jonathan Mason

In general, out here in California, Latinos have been very well coordinated and very methodical in their little ‘reconquista’ efforts to drive low income neighborhood inhabitants away and take over their territory until it’s complete with Spanish language-only billboards and local restaurant/store fronts.

I wish we could replace the McDonalds and gas station cafes around my neighborhood with taquerias and Spanish tiendas.
  38. Unz still pushing his Hispanic low crime thesis?

Read More
    • Replies: @Thomm

Unz still pushing his Hispanic low crime thesis?

Of course he is. How else to normalize illegality?

What is funny is that he also wants a $12/hr minimum wage in CA. Now, anyone who grasps Econ 101 knows that the real minimum wage is zero. But beyond that, a $12/hr minimum wage *really* cannot work in a place that simultaneously has illegals that can work at a market wage.

39. @anonymous
    This Salonga has written a dishonest article. Crime went down due to enlightened policing policies and the arrival of some big-box stores is what he's trying to sell. Criminal dysfunction can be engineered away. The comments following the story give the real reason, that being that the original troublesome black population moved out. The hooey about how the community came to trust the police could be dispensed with and the article could be reduced to four sentences: The area had a lot of crime. It was blacks doing it. The blacks moved out. No more crime.

Crime levels, including those of violent crime which are probably the least susceptible to statistical manipulation, have fallen in many countries across the past two decades. Not all of that can be placed at the truth of dispersing populations of blacks. But if we accept that blacks are inherently a problem, is the concentration or dispersal of blacks the best policy?

Read More
  40. the Four Seasons Hotel, which replaced the liquor stores that lined Whiskey Gulch off Highway 101.

So now the drunks show up at the Four Seasons to buy a bottle of Night Train?

Read More
    • Replies: @Thomm

No. The Four Seasons is expensive. The people dining there are lawyers from the surrounding buildings that earn 7-digits. None of them are blacks.
  41. @RealAmericanValuesCirca1776Not1965
    Ah. Eastern Palo Alto. It's not full of blacks so much anymore, that's why crimes down. It's full of Latinos now. The Latinos don't like to wholesale slaughter their own to the extent that the blacks do. Other than that, they really are no better than the blacks in terms of contributing to the peace or prosperity of a region. It's not like EPA is a decent place now. It's still a nightmarish cesspit, rest assured.

In general, out here in California, Latinos have been very well coordinated and very methodical in their little 'reconquista' efforts to drive low income neighborhood inhabitants away and take over their territory until it's complete with Spanish language-only billboards and local restaurant/store fronts. Oh, and their own Latino gangs of full-face tattooed dregs hanging out in their junk-filled yards, in wifebeaters, staring down any passing vehicles. That's still very much a thing in EPA. It's just you can see the tattoos better now because the dregs have slightly lighter brown skin.

In general, out here in California, Latinos have been very well coordinated and very methodical in their little ‘reconquista’ efforts to drive low income neighborhood inhabitants away and take over their territory until it’s complete with Spanish language-only billboards and local restaurant/store fronts.

I wish we could replace the McDonalds and gas station cafes around my neighborhood with taquerias and Spanish tiendas.

Read More
  42. Thomm says:
    @Jonathan Mason

the Four Seasons Hotel, which replaced the liquor stores that lined Whiskey Gulch off Highway 101.

No. The Four Seasons is expensive. The people dining there are lawyers from the surrounding buildings that earn 7-digits. None of them are blacks.

Read More
  43. Thomm says:
    @Henry's Cat

Of course he is. How else to normalize illegality?

What is funny is that he also wants a $12/hr minimum wage in CA. Now, anyone who grasps Econ 101 knows that the real minimum wage is zero. But beyond that, a $12/hr minimum wage *really* cannot work in a place that simultaneously has illegals that can work at a market wage.

Read More
  44. Hibernian says:
    @anon
    So we have three majority black areas with a total combined population of only 50,000 that are exceptions to the rule. I would say these exceptions prove the rule and are probably very atypical black areas. Would be curious to know more about them....

Matteson and Country Club Hills are middle class but not particularly affluent.

Read More
  45. Hibernian says:
    @Anon

That is not true of the three Illinois (southern Cook County) suburbs mentioned.

Read More
Current Commenter says:

Leave a Reply -

Remember My InformationWhy?
 Email Replies to my Comment
Submitted comments become the property of The Unz Review and may be republished elsewhere at the sole discretion of the latter
Subscribe to This Comment Thread via RSS
PastClassics
The evidence is clear — but often ignored
The unspoken statistical reality of urban crime over the last quarter century.
The “war hero” candidate buried information about POWs left behind in Vietnam.
The major media overlooked Communist spies and Madoff’s fraud. What are they missing today?
What Was John McCain's True Wartime Record in Vietnam?