This Fourth of July, the conflict is once again between people with normal patriotic instincts, and people who hate America. President Trump is one of the former, Colin Kaepernick is a representative of the latter.
Kaepernick is black, although quite pale for a black person, and his most recent anti-patriotic act was attacking Betsy Ross’s flag, as it appeared on some sneakers. In Charlottesville, among other things the home of Thomas Jefferson’s University of Virginia, Jefferson’s birthday is no longer to be celebrated. One reason for that: the old lie about Sally Hemings. [Charlottesville scraps Jefferson’s birthday as holiday, July 2, 2019] But the anniversary of his death is still celebrated perforce: he died on July 4, 1826.
The only thing that Kaepernick knows about pre-Civil War America is that it owned slaves, just as the only thing that any of the modern anti-patriots know about Thomas Jefferson or George Washington is that they were slave owners.
Trump is a representative of an earlier America, which was taught in school that Washington was “First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.”
That’s why Trump is having a Fourth of July parade, the kind of thing that would never have occurred to Obama.
And of course, Slate is freaking out. Will Donald Trump’s Fourth of July Parade Break the Law? asked Dahlia Lithwick yesterday. Her theory: patriotism can somehow be used to Trump’s electoral benefit, thus violating the Hatch Act.
More Fourth Of July hatred from Slate:
- Trump’s Fourth of July Event—Definitely Not a Campaign Rally—Will Include Tanks and a Flyover
- Pictures Emerge From D.C. Residents of Tanks Entering the City for Trump’s Fourth of July
- Trump’s July 4 celebration: an endorsement of cruelty.
Tanks seem to provoke a visceral anti-patriotic reaction, as if the Left thought that Trump was planning to use them on welfare recipients.
Below, someone has posted a video saying he sees “Trump’s tanks” entering the city, the replies generating the usual Trump/America hatred. Of course, they’re not Trump’s tanks, they’re America’s tanks.
And the response to that is from “MorlockP”—a writer named Travis J. I. Corcoran—”10 years ago I would have said that tanks in a parade were a non issue; I don’t care either way. …but it’s been a wild decade. Now I actively want tanks. It’s like “Bi / Gay / Dragonkin / Other sexuality” street signs. It offends the other tribe? Excellent! Bake the cake.”
You can read this below, I’m quoting it in case Twitter vanishes it somehow.
10 years ago I would have said that tanks in a parade were a non issue; I don't care either way.
…but it's been a wild decade.
Now I actively want tanks. It's like "Bi / Gay / Dragonkin / Other sexuality" street signs.
It offends the other tribe? Excellent!
Bake the cake. https://t.co/e1XwhIIQIE
— Dogs Don't Have Thumbs (@MorlockP) July 3, 2019
Second, what these people are offended by isn’t really Trump: it’s America.
So celebrate America, and when people are offended by that, you’ll know them for your enemies, and America’s.
America isn’t going anywhere.
John Adams, who died the same day Jefferson did in 1826, said on the Second of July, 1776, when the vote on the Declaration of Independence was taken,
“[The date] will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this Continent to the other from this time forward forever more.”
He would have been happy to include tanks and fighter planes in that.
Happy Independence Day from all of us at VDARE.com!
Independence Day Columns from previous years:
- 07/03/18—VDARE.com Wishes Normal, Patriotic Americans A Happy Fourth Of July, 2018
- 07/03/17—Independence Day: A Diverse Journalist Claims To Love America—But That Doesn’t Include The Founding Fathers, Or You
- 07/03/16—The Fourth Of July Is Beloved Of Americans—But Not All “Citizens” Think Of Themselves That Way
- 07/04/15—July Fourth Fear: Can Free Speech (And America) Survive A Minority-Dominated Supreme Court?
- 07/04/15—Happy Independence Day From VDARE.com!
- 07/04/14—Sworn On The Fourth Of July—Naturalization Ceremonies Certifying A New People
- 07/04/13—VDARE.com Says: Happy Independence Day— But Watch Out For Real Gunfire!
- 07/04/13— A Fourth Of July Immigration Sermon From SLATE
- 07/05/13— Reader Hears People Starting To Say “Happy Holiday” On July Fourth—That’s Starting The “War On Christmas” Early!
- 07/04/12 Happy Fourth! “Independence Day” And “Immigration”—Two Things That DON’T Go Together
- 07/03/11 The Fulford File, By James Fulford | Independence Day Under Immigration Attack
- 07/03/10 “In The Year Of Our Lord”…Independence Day And Loyalty Day
- 07/03/08—The Fulford File: Independence Day—”Pomp, Shows, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, And Illuminations “—But Not Immigration
- 06/27/08—View From Lodi CA: Independence Day and Hot Dog Gluttony
- 07/03/07—The Fulford File: Independence Day AND Immigration—Time To Declare Independence From Five Billion Potential Immigrants
- 07/03/06—The Fulford File: “There Shall Be Closed Borders”
- 07/04/05—A Second Independence Day: Summary Deportation Now (Or Counter-Insurgency Later?), by Juan Mann
- 07/03/05—The Fulford File: Independence Day And The WSJ Edit Page, by James Fulford
- 07/03/04—Jack Kemp vs. George Washington On Independence Day
- 07/03/03—Independence Day Is NOT Immigration Day—Despite the Wall Street Journal
- 07/04/02—Immigration Day?
- 07/04/01—Patriotic Bore By Chilton Williamson Jr.
- 07/09/01—Abolishing America (contd.): Establishment Sages Say Nation Obsolete, By Sam Francis
- 07/03/01—Wall Street Journal: Independence Day Means Immigration!