The new Video presentation system first announced ten days ago has been fully released, now with commenting enabled and 10,000 additional Videos, along with a couple of new Channels, and various other features.
(1) Popular YouTuber RamZPaul has decided to make The Review the “home base” for his Video distribution, this becoming our first “in house” VLogger; and as a consequence his Channel has been automatically placed near the top of our main Channel page. All the other Channels are normally listed in the order of their most recent videos.
(2) Given the growing number of Channels, viewers may easily customize the Channel page according to their diverse ideologies and interests. Just position the mouse above a Channel header, and a small “Pin” button will become visible. Click that button, and the selected Channel is permanently “pinned” to the top of the Channel page. The mouse may similarly be used to “unpin” a previously pinned Channel.
(3) A “Channel Finder” has been added to the top of the main Channel page. Type in a letter or two of a Channel’s name, and the display will immediately adjust to focus on the desired Channel.
Other significant enhancements to the Video system include:
(4) Users may now comment on Videos just like they do on regular posts and articles, with the comments displayed at the bottom in the same way. However, given the vast number of Videos, all the most recent comments on the Videos of an entire channel are also displayed in the sidebar associated with that Channel. That comment section of the sidebar may be closed by the user, along with the part of the sidebar displaying the most recent videos of a Channel.
(5) The two most popular Videos of a given Channel are displayed just above the commenting section of a Video page. That portion of the Video page may also be toggled open or closed.
(6) All Channels now have RSS Feeds allowing users to see a listing of the most recent videos released by that Channel, just like they do with regular articles or blog posts.
Full release of the Video system necessitated a few additional changes, which users will have noticed.
(5) Given the growing number of major webzine sections, the top menu has now been split into two separate lines. Although this solution is hardly aesthetically ideal, it seems the least-bad means of putting the available options at the fingertips of users, while also probably making people better aware of options that had previously been hidden away. The Video and Settings menu options are highlighted in order to draw more attention to them.
(6) Although the User Settings Popup has been available for over a year, probably relatively few visitors have taken advantage of the customization options it provides, which are saved in a permanent cookie. These notably include:
(7) Comment threads are sometimes cluttered up by especially long remarks by particular commenters. These commenters may be put on the “Ignore” list, but an additional Settings option now allows truncating *all* comments to “Short” or “Long” length, with the balance of the comment being available by a click.
(8) Social Media buttons are generally quite “heavy” and they may slow down the loading of pages that contain them, especially Blogger pages which provide Social Media buttons for each individual post. Users may therefore disable Social Media buttons, everywhere or just on Blogger pages, and gain the benefit of much faster load times.
Given the complexity of the system and these additions, please feel free to use this thread to report any problems you encounter, or any additional features you might suggest.