Just as I’d promised, I’ve now added a new system intended to automatically notify commenters of any recent replies to their own comments. Currently, the system only looks a day or so back, and also may produce considerable false positives, but those restrictions/problems should disappear once it has been operational for a few days.
If any of your comments have received replies since the last time you visited that page, you should notice a smallish notification message in the upper right hand portion of all your top page menus, indicating how many new replies you have. If you click on that click, a window will open listing all your comments that have recent replies, along with how many of those are “new” (i.e. appeared since you last visited that particular page).
If you click on any of those items, you’ll go to the particular comment in question, with those containing “new” replies being tinted blue. “New reply” sections also contain links to the next “new reply” section, so you can easily jump between all your comments that have new replies.
The top listing window also contains a link to your overall Comments Archive page, so you can easily examine your new replies there, with the new reply block once again being tinted blue and containing links to the next new reply block.
* * *
I just loaded a new version of the software on the Live server, mostly fixing a number of reported problems and adding a couple of small features:
(1) I think I’ve finally fixed all the HTTP/HTTPS protocol problems that people were having, which were generating warnings on a couple of browsers. For now, you should use the regular http://www.unz.com/ protocol, although I think the secure https:// protocol should also in almost all cases.
The problem with using the latter is that a certain number of other websites still haven’t implemented https, so images linked from those websites are considered “insecure”, leading browsers to issue warnings about the entire webpage. Since we’re not taking accepting credit card numbers, I can’t see why just using the regular protocol would be a problem at present.
(2) The Protocol change had caused various link problems in emailed articles or comments, but I think those have now all be solved.
(3) I fixed a number of other small bugs here and there, aside from the ones I’d previously mentioned.
(4) Someone had said it would be very nice for images to be automatically displayed in comments, so I added that feature. Essentially all you have to do is include the full URL of an external image, and it will be automatically displayed in your comment, just like a Tweet or a YouTube video, but make sure you include the “http:” portion.
In addition, someone else had complained that some Tweets in comments were not being expanded, and I fixed that. Since videos are very “heavy”, only the first few in each comment thread are expanded, but since Tweets and images are much “lighter”, they all get expanded.
(5) I’ve a recent tendency for a few new commenters to adopt a variety of different handles. This is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Commenters must adopt a single handle and stick with it, although they may freely leave other comments under Anonymous or Anon. Selecting the “Remember My Information” checkbox when you leave a comment will save your handle, email, and other info as a permanent cookie, preventing you from forgetting what you had previously used.
I may need to implement additional means of deterring the use of multiple handles by commenters.
(6) Someone else had suggested it would be very nice for the system to notify visitors of all the recent replies to their previous comments without their need to visit numerous individual threads, and I’ll see about trying to put that in within the next couple of days.
MEANWHILE, please leave comments mentioning any bugs or other problems you’ve encountered, or any additional suggestions.