(Funny how both my two trips to SPB since 2017 are to be at the invitation of nationalists who want to hear about HBD topics).
I did not like Gandhara.
There is a lot of material in this OT, since I haven’t done a links roundup since Oct 25.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- Top 25 Cool Demographics Facts
- Egor Kholmogorov: Russia and the Great War. Victory a Hundred Years Past.
- “Beyond Meat” Is A Big Broccoli Psyops
- Audacious Epigone: The Regime Always Wins
- Most Americans believe that the US has never interfered in a single foreign election.
- This does however show that US is quite good at integration. How deracinated do you have to be to be a Latino and believe that the US *never* interfered in *any* foreign election?
- Paul Robinson: Russian Conservatism Talk
- NYT: A Ukrainian Billionaire Fought Russia. Now He’s Ready to Embrace It.
- It’s zrada time.
- Looks like Kolomoysky really, really wants compensation for PrivatBank.
- Max Seddon (handshakeworthy hack): “Amazing how impeaching the US president comes down to dueling Soviet Jewish immigrants: the Vindmans of Brighton Beach versus Fruman and Parnas of Miami Beach.“
- James Thompson: Artificial Intelligence: Solve Intelligence, Then Solve Everything
- Emil Kirkegaard: Replies to Birney, Raff, Rutherford & Scally
- Futurism: Something Very Strange Seems to Be Synchronizing Distant Galaxies
- Alessandro Fedrizzi and Massimiliano Proietti: Quantum physics: Our study suggests objective reality doesn’t exist
- Congrats to Steve Sailer on winning Moldbugman’s boomer tournament!
- Vesti: Interview with Maria Butina
- PEW: European Public Opinion Three Decades After the Fall of Communism
- *sinotriumph* Zhang Xin: “Russian students are the largest group of international students too in my school, along with a sizable group from former Soviet space (2 are from FEFU this year) I hear more Russian than English or Chinese among international students.“
- Rus Av Insider: A first image of Slon, the proposed new Russian super heavy freighter
- Steve Sailer: Putin to Have Genetically Selected Army
- Carl Zha: “Marking 102th anniversary of the October Revolution: Chinese soldiers of the Red Army. 200,000 Chinese laborers went to Russia during WW1. 10,000 of them build Murmansk Railway in Arctic Circle. 40,000-50,000 joined the Red Army in Russian Revolution.”
- There’s generally a sort of very karmic justice to which countries ended up going commie.
- William Dunkerley: Covert Operative In Ukraine Controversy Revealed To Be Associated Press
- Henry Foy: “how Bashar al-Assad’s cousins have shifted cash to Russia as the Syrian war has raged, buying up luxury apartments in some of Moscow’s most exclusive skyscrapers”
- I have long advocated that Russia needs to become a global safe haven for billionaire crooks on the UK model. It already has all the prerequisites – world class megapolis in Moscow, elite ski resorts, gambling in Sochi, beaches there and in Crimea.
- AK: “For the Russian survivors of the Titanic, returning to the USSR proved more dangerous than embarking on the doomed ship in the first place.“
- Catherine the Great endorsed Tropical Hyperborea.
- DEATH OF VLADIMIR BUKOVSKY. In my opinion, Soviet dissidents showed their true colors after 1991. Some, like Solzhenitsyn, hated the USSR because they loved Russia. For others, such as Bukovsky, it was Russia that they hated all along. It was instructive that almost no Western media outlets mentioned his confession of possessing child pornography before a British court (incidentally, I wrote about it at the time, which led Eliezer Yudkowsky to ban me from his accounts).
- Balaji Srinivasan: “Neither side wants to admit, but the US and China are converging in some weird ways – internet censorship – nationalism + socialism – state takeover of tech companies – social credit / cancel culture – human flesh search / twitter mobs“
- PEW: People around the globe are divided in their opinions of China
- Japan Times: “Nearly half of South Koreans would back North in war with Japan, while 40% ‘have no idea’“
- *western authoritarianism* Britain First investigated by counterterror police after leader arrested while returning from Russia
- This is like if Russia was to arrest and confiscate the electronic assets of the pro-Western activists who visit the “Free Russia Forum” held annually in Latvia.
- *comment* AK: Are Romanian wages inflated?
- WSWS: Seventy percent of US Millennials say they are likely to vote socialist
- Syria’s Assad Says Jeffrey Epstein Did Not Kill Himself
- Phil Freeman on UK “Russian donations” scandal: “They aren’t donating to the Tories on Putin’s orders. They’re donating because the Tories will protect their wealth… Oligarchs from across the world donate to the Tory party for the same reason as their British peers: to defend their wealth and privilege and to buy access to the government of a key node in international money laundering networks. It has nothing to do with “Russian influence”.“
- Norway arrested Greg Johnson when he tried to get to the Scandza Forum; yet another UR contributor becomes a political prisoner.
- BOLIVIA EVENTS: Evo Morales did redistribution – share of wealth held by poorest decile doubled – but maintained macroeconomic sanity, unlike Venezuela. But that itself was a consequence of not purging neoliberal technocrats. Lesson – socialism unworkable without purges?
- Latest Call of Duty video game rewrites history to blame the Russians for US war crimes. A common story.
- NBF: Next-generation Ford Carrier Deployment Delayed Until 2024
- NBF: Germany Solar and Wind is Triple the Cost of France’s Nuclear and Will Last Half as Long
- López-Cortegano, Eugenio, and Armando Caballero. 2019. “Inferring the Nature of Missing Heritability in Human Traits Using Data from the GWAS Catalog.” Genetics 212 (3): 891–904.
- Emil Kirkegaard: “Summary of progress in GWASs. Progress gets increasing difficult because of the log normal distribution of effect sizes. So we need massive sample sizes, probably entire populations, to build models that capture close to the full heritability.“
- Pop Mech: New Research Suggests the Universe May Be a Giant Loop
- Peter Turchin: Historians and Historical Databases
- Emil Kirkegaard: Data mining Erowid to study drugs
- Richard Jones: Rock climbing and the economics of innovation
- Scott Alexander: New Atheism: The Godlessness That Failed
- *dysgenics* Abdellaoui, Abdel, David Hugh-Jones, Loic Yengo, Kathryn E. Kemper, Michel G. Nivard, Laura Veul, Yan Holtz, et al. 2019. “Genetic Correlates of Social Stratification in Great Britain.” Nature Human Behaviour, October.
- “If that goes on for multiple generations, then for the sort of social inequalities already there, you run the risk of increasing those inequalities on a biological level.“
- Steve Sailer: Cousin Marriage: It’s Bad
- Linh Dinh: Belonging, Not Belonging, Who Cares?
- Ideas & Data: Ben Shapiro, Conservative Inc, and the “Groyper” War of 2019
- Noah Carl: Tolerance of Inter-Ethnic Relationships in Europe
- Quanta: Quantum Darwinism, an Idea to Explain Objective Reality, Passes First Tests
- Quillette’s plans for 2020
- Quora: What is the cruelest insect in the animal kingdom?
- Alexander Turok: WWII as the peak of the age of heroic warfare
- Emil Kirkegaard: Physiognomy: a field ready for scientific revival
- A New Radical Centrism has a short new Twitter investigation on RationalWiki: “… RW has been taken over by “teenagers” (literally) who “don’t have a clue about science” and who “only use RW as a soapbox”… Among the worst of those now in prominence at Rational Wiki is someone he describes as “a 16 year old self-described zionist feminist and pansexual.”“
- *existential horror* Mencius Moldbugman: “It’s Monday. You don’t want to come into work but you must, so at least you just want to complete your work as quickly as possible and get out. That isn’t going to happen. You are not in the office to work. You are there to participate in social rituals and humiliate yourself.“
- Reuters: Italy to make climate change study compulsory in schools
- “How would you lower carbon emissions?” – final exam.
“Keep out African “refugees” like Salvini once did, they’ll emit ten times less carbon at home than in Europe.” – some based Giuseppe.
/ Angry NPC face
- “How would you lower carbon emissions?” – final exam.
- *unexpected wh40k* Mexican authorities find over 40 skulls at altar in den of suspected drug traffickers
- Forward: Afghanistan’s Last Jews Were Freed From Prison Because They Were So Annoying
- SMH: US expat ‘biggest neoliberal’ in Chile opens fire on protesters
- Late entry candidate for Moldbugman’s boomer tournament?
- Martyanov on my Russophobic shilling