The last Open Thread was a while ago, so there’s quite a backlog.
As I said at the beginning of the year, I am thinking of doing more video for my YouTube channel, which is currently largely dormant. If I go ahead with this, it will mostly be in Russian.
I don’t intend to do any serious preparation or editing. After all, I already have this blog, an academic career, and some other projects to take care of. Plan is to start off my ranting into a camera for half an hour 1-2 times a week.
Anyhow, let me know of any ideas or tips you might have on the art of vlogging.
More notable posts since the last Open Thread in case you missed any of them.
- Russian Extradited to US for Buying Unclassified F-16 Manual
- Game Review: Game of Thrones S08
- Mayday Mayday! Alt Right Still in Collapse.
- The Green-Black Wave
- Bioleninism in the 21st Century
- Two Millennia of Dysgenics in Greece?
- Final Proof Based & Redpilled PUTLER Reads This Blog
- Russians Are Vidya’s Baddies
- Meisenberg in Defense of Group Differences Research
- Values Shift
- Andrew Yang Rejects the Blank Slate
- Michael Kofman: Russia’s Su-57 fighter program – it’s worth following
- This will be of interest to reiner Tor, Kimppis, etc.
- spandrell: Class Struggle Is Underrated
- *rejuvenation* Mice lifespan doubled.
- RT: Chinese businesses consider moving production to Russia as trade war with US escalates
- *zrada* Ivan Tkachev: “Inspired by this thread I have calculated how much of 🇷🇺/🇨🇳 trade is actually settled in USD, EUR, Ruble and Yuan. It turns out that trade in national currencies declined in 2018 to mere 16.9%. Share of USD/EUR rose to 83%. Abandoning USD and EUR in trade is not an easy task.“
- Lance Welton: It’s Official: Higher Jewish Intelligence Is Genetic
- Excellent thread from Irkutyanin (follow!) about the best general History of Russia volumes in English.
- Meet ‘Ural,’ Russia’s New Nuclear-Powered Icebreaking Behemoth
- *powerful comment* JL on Russian successes in beef production/important substitution
- Charles Diggers: Russian-Chinese relations are warming the Arctic
- *PUTLER* He *is* reading my blog: Russia plans to invest billions in AI, remove all barriers for ‘tech pioneers’
- Vile Varangian: “Yandex and VK are superior to Google and Facebook, Telegram is better than WhatsApp, Kaspersky is a global leader etc.” Thoughts?
- TWICE as many deaths as births in the Ukraine during Jan-March 2019. At 10% decline y/y, this suggests that birth rate may fall as low as 7.2/1,000 this year (the absolute lowest in Ukraine’s post-Soviet history).
- *Russian puppets* Ukraine might be designated as major non-NATO US ally
- In “Jaw-Dropping” Speech Malaysian PM Says “No Evidence” Russia Shot Down MH17. As it happens, I don’t buy this particular conspiracy theory. But this is certainly an interesting development.
- 440M tons of coal produced in 2018 versus 411M tons in 2017 (see my post. This exceeds the Soviet era peak of 425M tons in 1988 – despite far fewer workers. Coal has been a successful industry.
- 82,000 doctorates handed out in Russia in 2018 versus 561,000 in 2005.
- This is a good thing! As it suggests more rigorous quality controls being put in place.
- *double standards* Insomniac Resurrected: Facebook Hires a Neonazi As Its Public Policy Manager in Ukraine.
- Fires them in the West, hired them in the Ukraine.
- Pyotrnemets on elite Elite American Jewish support for Admiral Kolchak’s government.
- Stalinist geezer stabs commie journalists for insufficient Stalinism.
- Inverted yield curve for US Treasuries suggests recession soon.
- CHINA TRADE WAR
- *blast from the past* Wasn’t this prophetic? Hu Xijin (Global Times editor): “Many ordinary Chinese may gloat over GOP’s loss of control of the US House, but scholars and officials I know have been very cautious. They worry that once Trump’s agenda is tied up in the US, he might become more radical on the international arena, which will affect China.” [Nov 2018]
- World map of countries that have banned Huawei
- Huiwei loses access to Android software
- ARM memo tells staff to stop working with China’s tech giant (UK)
- Germany’s Infineon signed up to US sanctions on Huawei, while Taiwan’s TCMS did not.
- Dan Ikenson: China’s U.S. Debt Portfolio Will Not Be Weaponized For The Trade War
- In reversal, science publisher IEEE drops ban on using Huawei scientists as reviewers
- China is indicating it’ll never give in to US demands to change its state-run economy
- Speaking of Google, it is just me or is it going down the drain anyway?: “Just the other day all my “Want To Go” markers on Maps vanished; no word if/when they’ll be restored (sucks as I had ~400 of them). Need sth more reliable.“
- My predictions from November 2018.
- Global Times: “A look into a subway construction site in Zhengzhou tells you where China’s confidence comes from amid the trade war. China once relied on imported tunnel boring machines, but now China-made TBMs occupy 2/3 of global market share, China Railway Engineering Equipment Group said.“
- *powerful comment* Duke of Qin: “The death of Moore’s law means it is fundamentally a good time for China to massively scale semiconductor industry. Going to be stuck on 7nm for probably at least a decade. Already prohibitively expensive for anything but most high margin consumer products, 4nm going to be worse. If Xi had vision, risc-v adopted across the board along with smics 14nm process. Countrywide mandatory linux adoption, msft ban, google ban, apple ban. Wealth is generated by capturing high value, not low value added assembly. Initial market uncompetitveness is irrelevant. Nothing you do today, could not have been done from a processor that was made 5 years ago.“
- Peter Lee (chinahand) points out that Western complaints about Russia promoting its own national champions in areas like aerospace ring rather hollow when set against US aggression versus Huawei.
- Nature: Science in Europe: by the numbers
- Branko Milanovic on how life is now more ideologically exciting
- US rebrands fossil fuels as ‘molecules of freedom’
- Audacious Epigone: Whites want nature conservation, non-Whites want socialism
- Israel might as well be part of the Five Eyes.
- *polls* What Europeans really want: Five myths debunked
- Economist: “Nearly 80% of South Africa’s 9- or 10-year-olds cannot read and understand sentences in any language.“
- *LOL* Hollywood pandering to Chinese aesthetic preferences means actors are becoming *more* white
- *powerful comment* Duke of Qin on why Taiwan is fake and gay.
- German wind & solar programw was 4x as expensive as French nuclear program for same amount of energy produced.
- Wolf Warrior 2 drone scene was prophetic.
- Robert Stark endorses Emily Ratajkowski on abortion.
- Scott Alexander: The APA Meeting: A Photo-Essay
- Rodney Brooks: Autonomous cars may take much longer than we expect
- Razib Khan: Conservatives Shouldn’t Fear Evolutionary Theory
- Guillaume Durocher speculates on national characteristics of Communist regimes.
- TIL Wikipedia has an official policy for managing the consequences of existential risks, such as nuclear war or a GRB burst.
- (It’s satire).
- Turchin, Alexey, Michael Batin, David Denkenberger, and Roman Yampolskiy. 2019. “Simulation Typology and Termination Risks.” arXiv [cs.OH]. arXiv.
- Roosh V has now stopped selling 11 of his books for leading men into sin. I think Roosh is going to pivot into some kind of born again preacher gig in the next 5 years, complete with florid tales of his “misspent” and “sinful” youth. Best of luck! But I suspect he’ll have to drop his new-fangled interest in KMac’s work to get inroads into that crowd.
- E. Michael Jones: “Without the #CatholicChurch, Europe would be like Africa. #LogosRising.” This is the guy who is apparently Roosh’s new spiritual guru.
- Taleb is on the loose again… now unleashing his fury on Noah Carl… getting owned in his own thread.
- James Kirkpatrick: That Shapiro Meltdown: What It Says About Him—and Conservatism, Inc.
- Lauren Southern is retiring.
- Apparently, Curtis Yarvin – better known as Moldbug, “founder” of Neo-Reaction – is apparently #YangGang according to a report from someone who knows him.
- * Pink Guards* Only 41% US college students oppose the First Amendment.
- Italy is evicting Steve Bannon from the medieval monastery he planned to turn into a far-right training academy. Honestly probably a good idea. European nationalists can do just fine without American “Judeo-Christian” grifters.
- Not satire: Chicago schools spend $45,000 to reprint yearbook because kids made “OK” sign