I am amused to see that the I continue to remain an incidental object of Irish SJW discourse following Michael Connolly’s publication of an HBD-realist view on development economics.
More troublingly still, the article credits Anatoly Karlin, a well known member of the Russian far right who has appeared at events alongside American white nationalist Richard Spencer, as the source of many of the ideas expressed in the piece.
I am already somewhat familiar with this name, as Karlin is a notorious anti-Semite and confidant of American white supremacist Richard Spencer. He has previously made statements like “The most vitriolic and obsessive Russia-bashing journalists in the media are mostly Jewish. The publications which push these writers most energetically are ALL Jewish-owned, and as a publisher, I know very well, that is where the buck stops. On the policy side, the neoconservative movement, Russia’s harshest foe, was conceived of, is led by, and consists mostly of, Jews”.
It’s pretty amusing to see these people are plainly just cribbing from the RationalWiki article. In reality, having only met with him once, it is hard to see how would qualify as a confidant of Richard Spencer (who is for that matter a white nationalist, but not a white supremacist). And of course the quoted text above was written by Charles Bausman, who is not me; I agreed with parts of it, and disagreed with other parts of it.
However, it is good that I now qualify as a “well known member” of the Russian Far Right.
From now on, this will be a new section on Open Threads that will highlight my more significant blog posts during the past week.
- Surkov Is Not A Deep Person
- Butina: Not A Spy, Not Even An Agent. As I Said Hours After Her Arrest.
- Russian Demographics in 2019
- Lukashenko flip-flops on integration with Russia for the nth time. Not going to cover this here, as I’m planning a separate post on the Belorussian Question.
- *Chinese sci-fi* New Chinese blockbuster “Wandering Earth” in which the Earth becomes a rogue planet and people need to survive on the freezing surface (or something like that)
- I intend to watch it; not showing in Moscow, so I suppose it’ll have to pirate it.
- Pertinent to discussions about: Potential of Chinese cultural influence; Russia-China relations (the movie is rather Russophile).
- Are these “Snowball Earth” post-apoc scenarios becoming more popular? There was Matthew Mather’s “Nomad” series in 2015-2017, and the Korean-Czech movie “Snowpiercer” in 2013.
- As I said a couple of months ago, my plans for this year – assuming Age of Malthusian Industrialism gets finished – is to write a sci-fi novel on a similar topic.
- *econ* Jon Hellevig: With Putin Russia is Finally Getting Proper Roads – The Progress is Impressive. Great summary.
- Danielle Ryan: Bigotry & xenophobia about ‘the Russians’ is the only kind PC culture allows
- Vladimir Shibaev: “Creating a high-IQ society needs to become the goal of every citizen” [in Russian]
- Insomniac Resurrected: Poroshenko election campaign is aping Putin’s
- Guillaume Durocher Twitter thread on Israeli influence: “#IlhanOmar is learning that hard way that there at some facts gentiles – even black Muslim gentiles – are not allowed to mention.“
- Hungary PM Offers Incentive To Women: Have 4 Kids And Never Pay Income Tax Again
- *Maximum Boot?* Max Boot: “Disgraceful ad hominem attacks by @IlhanMN on my @CFR_org colleague Elliott Abrams. She doesn’t seem to realize he is a leading advocate of human rights and democracy–not a promoter of genocide! More evidence of the loony left I caution Democrats about.“
Science & Culture
- Special issue of new Psych journal on Rushton & Jensen (2005)
- Three papers have already been published.
- Mike Johnson: Consciousness: a Cosmological Perspective (Sharpening the Simulation Argument)
- *human extremophiles* (via @whyvert): “The people of the Atacama whose drinking water contains 20x the safe limit of arsenic, evolved an adaptation to metabolize arsenic.“
- *argument for fat shaming* Emil Kirkegaard: “If fat acceptance is causal for higher BMIs thru less social policing, does that mean that fat shaming is technically an underused protective factor for diabetes, heart disease etc.? Conclusion seems unavoidable.“
- Georgetown University Students May Face Student Fee to Pay Slavery Reparations
- Nobody sane is surprised about Jussie Smollett having been a hate hoax. I care so little about the latest American domestic dramas that I’m putting this at the end.