I will admit that due to personal and work related reasons I got much less done this month than I hoped to. However, on the plus side, I have pretty much finished with furnishing my new apartment, and have largely ditched one commitment that was generally more trouble than it was worth. Along with an imminent reconsideration of posting strategy, I am sure that January and henceforth will be more productive than ever.
It is very good to see the legendary HBD blogger Audacious Epigone join the UR. Along with the recent acquisition of Guillaume Durocher, the site is going from strength to strength.
* TRUMP: Syria/Afghanistan withdrawals obviously good for the US. Turkey letting up on Khashoggi was obvious quid pro quo; Israel reportedly also reacquired rights to bomb Iranians in Syria from Russia.
Obviously something instigated by the Turks, and which mostly benefits Israel and Turkey, was yet another case of Putler manipulating Drumpf.
Afghanistan fundamentally represents vast opportunity costs regardless of ideology. What trillion dollars over 18 years can buy:
– Greening the economy, energy independence.
– 355 ship navy
– Building a Mars base
– Order of magnitude more foreign aid. https://t.co/HhaGm4KwXV
— ak (@akarlin88) December 21, 2018
PS. Neocon Michael D. Weiss is really sad:
Michael Weiss is having a multi-hour meltdown about the U.S. withdrawing from Syria. He started 9 hours ago and he’s still going. pic.twitter.com/HZqnrsLwqq
— Sam (@halaljew) December 22, 2018
* Someone whose style you should recognize: A Week In Xinjiang’s Absolute Surveillance State. Must read!
*Ron Unz: Averting World Conflict with China
* Guillaume Durocher: The Economics of the Great Replacement
* Leonid Bershidsky: The Maria Butina Case Is Not About Spying
* Russia demshiza has yet another irrelevant get-together in Vilnius
* Flagship journal of the Dork Web Quillette has Soviet immigrant Cathy Young do a hit job on Solzhenitsyn to mark his anniversary (RussoShoe Theory: “Stalinism is not true Marxism, and that’s terrible.”)
* Graham Allison: China and Russia: A Strategic Alliance in the Making
* Kenneth Rapoza: Don’t Believe Beijing: China Really Does Rival The U.S.
* China’s Social Ranking System Will Now Target Rule-Breaking Scientists. Likelihood of a Chinese biosingularity has been downgraded.
* Emil Kirkegaard: Fertility of immigrant groups in Denmark by generation. There is actually broad convergence to native norms. This suggests immigrant population % will stabilize after a few decades if immigration was to be halted.
* Demographic update for the year 2018 via Cicerone.
Science & Culture
* Kirkegaard: Who wants to live forever?
* Twitter spat on validity of IQ between N.N. Taleb and real psychometrists:
"IQ" measures an inferior form of intelligence, stripped of 2nd order effects, meant to select paper shufflers, obedient IYIs.
1- When someone asks you a question in REAL LIFE, you focus first on "WHY is he asking me that?", which slows down. (Fat Tony vs Dr John)
— Nassim Nicholas Taleb (@nntaleb) December 23, 2018
Almost as bad as people who have never extracted a g factor from mental test data pontificating on IQ research…
Or people who have never calculated a heritability from twin data pontificating on behavior genetics… https://t.co/NA7O24tMAx
— Geoffrey Miller (@primalpoly) December 23, 2018
* Insomniac: European Values Chief Did Gay Porn. How appropriate.
* Daily Stormer reviews new Chinese battle royale game Ring of Elysium. I notice that Anglin has been getting very Sinophile of late.