October has been an exceedingly successful. While September was my all time record month (thanks largely to my post on The Idiocy of the Average), with 46,000 unique visits and 154,000 pageviews, this past month came close despite the absence of any viral posts – 37,000 visits and 145,000 pageviews. I am now consistently running at above 1,000 visits per day since early October.
The blog has well more than 50% as many pageviews as in the entirety of 2017, and if I manage to keep pace, we might just come close to a doubling.
You can help increase the chances of that happening here: http://akarlin.com/donations/
I am thinking of updating moderation guidelines. For all intents and purposes, they don’t currently exist – as of today a grand total of one person is banned (Wally, for spamming).
That is going to stay constant – on 90% of posts.
However, I also produce the occasional “effortpost” that I want to be citable. I am thinking of explicitly marking them as such, and deleting low-quality comments there, but not anywhere else.
In effect, there will be a moderated, infrequent “K-selected” blog, and an unmoderated “r-selected” blog that is updated daily as today. Let me know what you make of this plan.
* Twitter free speech alternative Gab potentially facing criminal charges because Pittsburgh shooter happened to comment there
* James Thompson: Scientific Racism. Excellent summary.
* Alpha Centauri Dreams: Could highly unusual ‘Oumuamua asteroid be debris from a technological civilization?
* Ben Aris: Russia preparing wide-ranging Ukraine sanctions in retaliation for incoming US sanctions this autumn
* Russian Arctic sea route shipping more than quadruples in 5 years
* AP on Ukrainian Orthodoxy
* Two thirds of Kazakhstan’s remaining Russians want to leave due to country’s language policies and worsening inter-ethnic relations
* Mikhail Kofman: Russia’s sole aircraft carrier out of commission after deadly accident during repair work
* Latvia passes language law limiting Russian instruction in schools
* POWERFUL TAKE: Representative of Constantinople Patriarch (and reserve officer of the Turkish Army) “threatens” Russian Orthodox Church with revocation of its autocephaly.
* Matfey Shaheen: Schismatic head of Ukrainian Church Folaret blessed a mural with nationalist symbols, SS runes, a priest with an uncanny resemblance to Filaret himself, and St. George slaying a double-headed eagle – the symbol of the Byzantine Empire, you know, the one whose Patriarch recently declared their autocephaly.
* Rapoza: What to expect from Bolsonaro’s First 100 Days: Privatizations, 20% flat tax, public pensions reform
* New poll of American undergrads reveals more than half afraid to disagree with classmates’ political views, 17% want to repeal First Amendment
* Israel cheerleader Jennifer Rubin claims nationalism seen in Hungary, Poland, Italy is implicitly anti-Semitic
* Iraq’s Christian population plummeted from 1.5 million to just 250,000 since US invasion in 2003
* NYT believes that Bad Orange Man has misplaced priorities:
— NYT Opinion (@nytopinion) November 1, 2018
* Italian gov’t to reward families expecting third child with free land in the south
* MBS in trouble? Power struggle in Saudi Arabia to heat up as younger brother of King Salman returns with US/UK security guarantees
* Venezuela launches sales of “Petro” cryptocurrency
* China produced 108,000 industrial robots in Jan-Sep 2018 – that’s one third of entire US stock of industrial robots
* China cordons off large area of ocean to test robotic warships
* ASPI: Long read: Chinese military sponsored more than 2,500 scientists to study in the West
Science & Culture
* Scott Alexander: Sort By Controversial
* Computer neural networks also fooled by optiCal illusions just like humans
* IQ 101:
THREAD: 12 Things Everyone Should Know About IQ
1. IQ is one of the most heritable psychological traits – that is, individual differences in IQ are strongly associated with individual differences in genes (at least in fairly typical modern environments). https://t.co/3XxzW9bxLE pic.twitter.com/0ty6pq48sd
— Steve Stewart-Williams (@SteveStuWill) November 1, 2018
* Steve Sailer: As best we know not a single anti-Semitic hate crime has been committed by a right-winger in New York since Trump’s election
* Julia Ioffe is very good at hearing dog whistles.
Julia's paranoia is becoming all-consuming. The most philosemitic great power in history elected a President with millions of votes from a rabidly pro-Jewish constituency and has consistently pursued a pro-Israeli foreign policy and yet all she can see is Adolf 2.0. https://t.co/9U8gu5J1LG
— Niccolo Soldo (@V4Analysis) October 28, 2018
* GQ magazine journalist literally says anyone who has ever said anything about Soros has “blood on their hands.”
* UN pushing “migration compact” calling to defund media that promotes “xenophobia” and enforce pro-immigrant tone in elections campaigns
* NYT writer calls on American voters to “replace” white nationalists in coming midterms
* Swedish municipality wants public to host immigrants in their own houses
* New UK thinktank report ascribes Islamophobia to Russian trolls
* London police to hire 200 anti-racist “community assessors” as homicide rates in UK capital overtake NY’s
* Study: Brexit supporters prefer realistic art