Am in London again (that that I particularly want to be), will probably visit Aarhus, Denmark in mid-May (conference). Thinking of going to Denmark by train through the Netherlands, finances permitting. I have yet to visit the Dutch.
Assuming there is no international crisis, I’ll get the Portugal post up very soon.
* Cathedral Chronicles:
- Steve Sailer: Higher IQ Newspapers Tend to be Written by Higher IQ Reporters
- Wai, Jonathan & Perine (2018) – Expertise in Journalism: Factors Shaping a Cognitive and Culturally Elite Profession. The paper it’s based upon.
* SJWs force Ulster University to deprive Richard Lynn of his emeritus status.
* The Bajau people are uniquely adapted for long, deep-sea diving (larger spleens, better eyesight underwater). But we all know human evolution stopped 50,000 years ago!?
* Bryan Caplan: The Wonder of International Adoption: Adult IQ in Sweden
International adoption doesn’t make international IQ gaps vanish, but it plausibly cuts them in half. And remember – unlike classic childhood interventions like Head Start, the gains last into adulthood instead of fading away. What other viable, lasting treatment for low IQ is even remotely as effective?
Seems to confirm intuitive deductions that global B/W gap is 50/50 environment and genetics.
* UK government says Russia spreads fake news via Twitter bots, the only Twitter “bots” it cited were actually two real people, one of them the famous @PartisanGirl.
UK government falsely accuses two Twitter users of being Kremlin bots and the Guardian reprints without fact checking. Both users say they are now considering suing. One, @Partisangirl is a very well known Syrian Youtuber in Australia. https://t.co/ePYZY5D6Zl
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) April 20, 2018
* Syria Strike 2018 aftermath:
- Patrick Lang: Are the Russians Correct?. His argument is yes. I had agreed.
- Hmm… No clear version of what happened: John Bolton wanted a massive bombing raid in Syria. Trump said no.
Powerful wh40k vibes.
* Russian military history blogger writes about Russian MoD-sponsored trip to Khmeimim Airbase, Syria. You don’t need Russian to appreciate the photos.
* Emil Kirkegaard: Corvus Intelligence
Within this parvorder, the genus Corvus (ravens and crows) is an outlier at over eight standard deviations above the avian mean, by far the highest of all genera.
* Andres Gomez Emilsson & Mike Johnson: Reflections on The Science of Consciousness 2018
* NBF: Laser are getting ten times more powerful every 3 years, soon Exawatt lasers will unlock fusion and more. Interesting and important trend I was not previously aware of.
* Incompetent Roskomnadzor assault on Telegram continues.
- Close to 20 million IPs continuously blocked [usher2.club]
- Affecting cloud services used by enterprises
- Knowledge of VPN spreading from political freaks who read marginal liberal and nationalist webzines to normies
- Failure to block Telegram itself
- Hilariously, many of the aforementioned liberal and nationalist webzines are now no longer blocked [ping-admin]
I suspect if anything does the Putin regime in, it will be this sort of stupidity and institutional degradation. Note that Roskomnadzor’s annual budget is more than 10% of that of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
* Paul Robinson reviews Timothy Snyder’s propaganda book about Russia (Putin, Dugin, Glazyev (!), Prokhanov (!)) as fascist.
* Prime Minister Sargsyan has resigned in Armenia following the protests. Whether this is a routine power shift or a color revolution will be seen soon (my bet is still on the former).
* Large collection of maps and infographics about the Russian 2018 Presidential elections [in Russian].
* Kommersant: Israeli Repats [in Russia], via Dmitry.
* Even relatively good Russia watchers often don’t know the most elementary things:
— ak (@akarlin88) April 21, 2018
* Polish Perspective comment on dwindling EU subsidies to Poland and why it could help Poland play a more independent role.
* Steve Sailer:
- “White Privilege” vs. “Jewish Privilege”
- The Southern Poverty Law Center, a Fundraising Organization, Raised a Lot of Funds During the First Year of Trump Derangement Syndrome
- SPLC Executive Suite: 47 Years of “Whites Only”
- You thought it was bad in the US? Check out Affirmative Action in Brazil
* Audacious Epigone: The Rainbow Nation goes dark
* Audacious Epigone: Nobody does Russophobia like Jews do. Some statistical support for Charles Bausman’s controversial thesis.
- NBF: Missiles and planes make China’s South China Sea Island bases an effective update of the Maginot Line
- NBF: China could sell half of the world’s electric cars in 2018
- NBF: China is deploying metamaterials and railguns using SR-71 like development speed and flexibility
- Valdai Club: The West’s ‘Unilateral War’ Against Russia and China Makes the World a More Dangerous Place
* Leonid Bershidsky: Hungary’s Orban Isn’t Another Putin
Science & Culture
* Gwern’s March newsletter.
* Richard Lynn, Fuest, & Kirkegaard (2018) – Regional differences in intelligence in 22 countries and their economic, social and demographic correlates: A review. It’s up on Sci-Hub.
* James Thompson to begin doing videos on state of IQ research. First one here.
* Age of world’s oldest person steadily creeping up.
* Technology Review: Researchers are keeping pig brains alive outside the body. Dreadnought sarcophagi here we come.
* Picus News here we come:
* As Thorfinnson said, this man married well.
* Peak /r/politics?
* Georgian svidomism:
"Jews covered up the Georgian ancestry of Christ." Tbilisi 2003. pic.twitter.com/fJTlRJxoMU
— ak (@akarlin88) April 24, 2018