* Blog status: Main posts in the last couple of weeks:
- RationalWiki Hagiography
- Colonize Space… With Nukes
- IQ in Time and Space
- Russia Elections 2018: The Political Compass
- The Rybka Affair
* Large bunch of interesting books that have come out recently.
- Heiner Rindermann with a huge (592 pages) academic synthesis of research on IQ/GDPcc in Cognitive Capitalism. Unfortunately, as a textbook, it comes with a hefty price tag. I expect to get a review copy in the next few weeks, after which I’ll tell you if it’s worth ordering.
- Edward Dutton rehabilitating phrenology in How to Judge People by What They Look Like.
- Bryan Caplan, Robin Hanson’s fellow GMU economist, makes The Case against Education [LibGen]. I am a couple of chapters in and I have to say that it clearly elucidates with studies many things that I have long intuitively suspected. Greg Cochran has a good review (1, 2, 3).
- Steven Pinker argues the case for reason, science, humanism and progress in Enlightenment Now [Libgen]. If the reviews are anything to go by, it’s 3x as long as it should be as per Pinker’s trademark writing style.
* Hank Pellissier: Technoprogressive Declaration of the Transhuman Party
* Massive 800 page report/60MB PDF on longevity research. Longevity Industry Reports – 2018 – Landscape Overview 2017. Volume I – The Science of Longevity Geroscience, Policy, and Economics [summary]
* Latest peacekeeping plan for LDNR from the Hudson Institute calls for 20,000 soldiers + 4,000 policemen in the region staffed mainly be UN troops from “neutral” countries such as Latin America, Sweden (!)/Finland/Austria, and Kazakhstan/Belarus, which would presumably be acceptable to both Russia and the Ukraine. They would confine the NAF’s troops and weapons to “secure bases, as a first step towards demobilization or retraining in non-military roles”; act as a tripwire against Russian and Ukrainian incursions; and organize elections prior to the area’s reintegration into the Ukraine.
Meanwhile, Russian Presidential candidate Yavlinsky – a native of Lvov, who until 2016 wanted to give away Crimea unconditionally, to say nothing of the LDNR – has said that he discussed the issue of Ukraine with Putin last November, including the possibility of him replacing Surkov as Russia’s main negotiator on the Ukraine Question. Conspiracy interpretation would be that he is the perfect man to actualize “Putinsliv,” allowing the Kremlin to wash their hands off handing Donbass over to the Ukraine while branding him as the traitor.
* Bloomberg: Russian Billionaires Are Building Megaschools to Rival Eton and Exeter. I suppose it’s good that the Hogwarts worship is subsiding.
* Chronicles of Article 282:
- This article from a whistleblower who left due to ethical reasons confirms the Center Against Extremism are working to fulfill quotas [in Russian].
- Recursive extremism: A student got 2.5 years in jail for extremism in his doctoral dissertation on extremism [in Russian].
* A couple of pro-Kremlin HSE economists wrote an entire book arguing that corruption is a good thing [in Russian].
* Russian SJWs. “Heard more disconcerting things today about SJWization of Russian society. Is becoming politically incorrect to use the word негр (Negro), as opposed to чернокожий (black-skinned) in Lukoil; amongst <25 year old Moscow university students, esp. Navalny supporters. I believe this because I was told similar things about RT around a year ago. Russia seems fated to continue importing the shittiest aspects of Western culture.”
Whataboutism 1.0: But you lynch Negroes!
Whataboutism 2.0: But you say “Negroes”!
* Yandex Taxi going into driverless cars:
* Judging from latest EIA statistics, USA likely to set an all time oil production record in 2017, barreling (heh) past the old peak in 1970 and solidifying its position as the world’s largest petroleum & other liquids producer.
It is now approaching something like 90% self-sufficiency, which is a pretty epochal event in geopolitical terms.
* Sinotriumph Chronicles:
- NBF: If China is ahead deploying Railguns, electromag catapults and hypersonic weapons
- NBF: Is China Railgun a Sputnik moment for the USA?
* Bad news for Tropical Hyperborea: Longer winters are coming in reality and will partially blunt global warming for 50 years (due to possible solar minimum like in the Little Ice Age in next few decades)
Science & Culture
* Andres Gomez Emilsson: Every Qualia Computing Article Ever
* Rabbit: The Bearer of “Trad” News
Antifa being funny and original as always.