◄►Bookmark◄❌►▲ ▼Toggle AllToCAdd to LibraryRemove from Library • BShow CommentNext New CommentNext New Reply
Dog days of summer, not much going on.
Apart from Julian Assange RT’ing my Society 282 article.
As luck would have it, that particular week was the one time this year I was at our dacha, where my mobile Internet doesn’t work, so I missed out on all the fun.
The Eternal Russia. pic.twitter.com/ntthshXtGp
— ♔ak (@akarlin88) August 29, 2017
* James Thompson: The 99 steps of intelligence hunters
* Alexander Mercouris: Goodbye ‘President’ Trump; hail ‘President’ Mattis
* Putin: Whoever leads in AI will rule the world. With virtually no presence in AI/machine learning, that probably isn’t going to be Russia.
* US shutters three Russian diplomatic officers, including the Consulate in San Francisco. I am assuming not all of their staff will be transferred to remaining diplomatic compounds, so the number of Russian diplomats in the US will fall below 455, necessitating a further round of diplomatic expulsions from Russia to maintain the reciprocity principle.
* Big new IRI Ukraine poll: Public Opinion Survey of Residents of Ukraine
Finally, someone in the media – from Salon, of all places – noticed that the Alt Left isn’t what Trump says it is.
* Audacious Epigone: Only blacks want Confederate statues removed. A shock to people outside the /r/politics and neoliberal Twitter to be sure.
Curiously, more men (38%) support this than women (27%). AE: “I suppose destroying things appeals more to men than it does to women.”
* iSteve commenter roadrunner noticed the USS John McCain was apparently piloted by diversity hires. The symbolism just keeps piling on..
Check out the bios of the CO and XO. The CO is Commander Alfredo Sanchez, native of Puerto Rico. He appears to be a washout from flight school, reassigned to duty as a surface officer.
The XO is named… Commander Jessie Sanchez, also a native of Puerto Rico. He started out as an enlisted sailor, then got a diploma from a diploma mill and was commissioned as a limited duty officer. This is not a typical bio of a XO of a destroyer, at least in my day.
* Steve Sailer’s series of Tweets with quotes illustrating elite hostility to White Americans.
* Glenn Greenwald: In Europe, Hate Speech Laws are Often Used to Suppress and Punish Left-Wing Viewpoints
* Syrian Civil War update: Bridge to Deir ez-Zor almost complete. These are most likely the last months of Islamic State.
* Douglas Fox: What the ctenophore says about the evolution of intelligence
All of this pointed to a stunning conclusion: despite being more complex than sponges and placozoans – which lacked nerve cells and muscles and virtually every other specialised cell type – ctenophores were actually the earliest, oldest branch on the animal tree of life. Somehow over the subsequent 550 to 750 million years, the ctenophore had managed to evolve a nervous system and muscles similar in complexity to those of jellyfish, anemones, sea stars and many types of worms and shellfish, cobbled together from an alternative set of genes.
* Dahghan, Mahshid et al. – 2017 – Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries
Intake of total fat and each type of fat was associated with lower risk of total mortality (quintile 5 vs quintile 1, total fat: HR 0·77 [95% CI 0·67–0·87], ptrend<0·0001; saturated fat, HR 0·86 [0·76–0·99], ptrend=0·0088; monounsaturated fat: HR 0·81 [0·71–0·92], ptrend<0·0001; and polyunsaturated fat: HR 0·80 [0·71–0·89], ptrend<0·0001). Higher saturated fat intake was associated with lower risk of stroke (quintile 5 vs quintile 1, HR 0·79 [95% CI 0·64–0·98], ptrend=0·0498). Total fat and saturated and unsaturated fats were not significantly associated with risk of myocardial infarction or cardiovascular disease mortality.
* Chopan, Mustafa & Littenberg – 2017 – The Association of Hot Red Chili Pepper Consumption and Mortality
Total mortality for participants who consumed hot red chili peppers was 21.6% compared to 33.6% for those who did not (absolute risk reduction of 12%; relative risk of 0.64).
* Emil Kirkegaard: Battle of the sexes: island survival edition. (Relevant in light of the announcement of a female-only Lord of the Flies remake).
* Chinese joke about baizuo (SJWs) making the rounds on their social networks.
* TIL via Wrath of Gnon: Syphilis had 8% prevalence amongst British men a century ago; in France, 15% of deaths attributed to it. “One of the reasons the Victorians were so severe on morals.”